Best thing to plant now

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Best thing to plant now

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:45 am

What would be the best thing to plant now for deer to eat this fall? Have an area (small, maybe an acre) the farmer rolled but isn’t planting. Thought I might plant something...he is putting in winter wheat in the rest.

Thanks.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
cspot
500 Club

Re: Best thing to plant now

Unread postby cspot » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:36 am

mheichelbech wrote:What would be the best thing to plant now for deer to eat this fall? Have an area (small, maybe an acre) the farmer rolled but isn’t planting. Thought I might plant something...he is putting in winter wheat in the rest.

Thanks.

Getting late in the year in the northern climates to plant anything but winter wheat or something like that.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:11 am

cspot wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:What would be the best thing to plant now for deer to eat this fall? Have an area (small, maybe an acre) the farmer rolled but isn’t planting. Thought I might plant something...he is putting in winter wheat in the rest.

Thanks.

Getting late in the year in the northern climates to plant anything but winter wheat or something like that.

This is what I thought..although, here is southern Indiana it stays fairly warm through mid-November. I just didn’t know if there was anything else that would grow fast enough.

Also have option to plant stuff after corn is cut which is likely to be 1st week of October. With the equipment nowadays they don’t leave much spillage behind.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bman409
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bman409

Unread postby Bman409 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:24 am

you might still have time to plant turn-ups, depending on where you are

https://buckwithbow.com/when-to-plant-turnips-for-deer/
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:37 am

Winter wheat, clover, turnips if you can get them in here soon and get rain on them.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:40 am

Cannabis
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:13 pm

Mic drop
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:37 pm

:lol:
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:38 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
cspot wrote:

Thanks.

This is what I thought..although, here is southern Indiana it stays fairly warm through mid-November. I just didn’t know if there was anything else that would grow fast enough.

Also have option to plant stuff after corn is cut which is likely to be 1st week of October. With the equipment nowadays they don’t leave much spillage behind.

If the farmer is already putting winter wheat out then probably no point in planting more. If I was going to do something, I may throw some oats and turnips out and hope for the best. If it stays warm then you may get some decent growth.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:45 pm

Winter rye would be the easiest to plant with some of the most benefits. Rye, oats, winter peas, radishes, and clover is a popular Fall mix.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:46 pm

Turnips and radishes will do you well. You can get some good bulbs before a killing frost. Seed is cheap for those. Buy cover crop seed instead of “food plot” seed

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”