Question on Slayer seed Varieties

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CJM

Question on Slayer seed Varieties

Unread postby CJM » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:53 am

Hey guys, Question is for deerslayer or anyone with experience on this.

I'm looking to plant an early season food source or two on my dad's land in SE WI, as there will be alot of soybeans around us this year and I'd like to have some food source available early on to try to keep some of the deer on our land.

My question is, which seed varieties need to be row planted and which can be broadcasted. as well as is there any certain variety that accomplishes my goal better than the rest? The surrounding food sources on our land will be about 1 acre plot of corn that will remain standing all year, and roughly 10 acres of white acorns across the street(land that I have access to).

Hopefully I didnt ramble too much any other questions you need answered to give the best advice, ask away.

Thanks
Cody

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Re: Question on Slayer seed Varieties

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:51 am

I had really good luck with his awesome antler

The deer demolished it
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:59 pm

CJM wrote:Hey guys, Question is for deerslayer or anyone with experience on this.

I'm looking to plant an early season food source or two on my dad's land in SE WI, as there will be alot of soybeans around us this year and I'd like to have some food source available early on to try to keep some of the deer on our land.

My question is, which seed varieties need to be row planted and which can be broadcasted. as well as is there any certain variety that accomplishes my goal better than the rest? The surrounding food sources on our land will be about 1 acre plot of corn that will remain standing all year, and roughly 10 acres of white acorns across the street(land that I have access to).

Hopefully I didnt ramble too much any other questions you need answered to give the best advice, ask away.

Thanks
Cody

Any of my mixes and almost any seed can be broadcast. What you do after broadcasting the seed depends mainly on what kind of seed you used. For example, if I planted a corn and soybean mix I would set a disk to 3" deep and make one pass over the field and then pack the soil. I have planted it by just broadcasting and cultipacking, but that nice bright yellow corn is like a beacon to any flocks of black birds flying overhead and they will come down and hammer it. Just soybeans and the birds don't seem to notice them. Burying the seed is definitely the best way to go in this situation. Not only because of the birds, but because you don't need 3-5 days of wet weather to get the seed to sprout. When it's buried in the moist soil germination is easy, consistent and uniform.

If I broadcast small seeds like clover I do it on a firm smooth seedbed, drag a weighted piece of folded over chain link fence over the field and then pack again.

Your best bet isn't a certain variety, but a mix of top quality varieties. If your thinking of buying from me then Crimson Trail is the best, but another good choice is the Awesome Antlers.

I hope this answers your questions.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
CJM

Unread postby CJM » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:19 pm

Just Ordered!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”