Thoughts and Advice on my small piece of land.

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
basspro05
500 Club

Thoughts and Advice on my small piece of land.

Unread postby basspro05 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:23 am

I bought a small piece of ground as an investment this past summer. It was a deal I could not pass up, and I bought with the idea of holding on to it and not messing with it...not for hunting.

Now that the weather cooled off I finally had time to go check the property out...I got to thinking that since nobody had stepped foot on the property for a really long time there would be a possibility that deer might be using the property.

I walked the property this weekend and found a good amount of sign for a 3 acre property. I marked it all on the map below.

Right now all of the wooded area on the west side of the property is pretty thick, lots of growth on the ground ranging from thorns bushes and tall grass. The trees are a mix of cedars and trees...(I am no tree expert I know oaks and maples that about it) Most of these are 15-20 feet tall and lots of thorns...

The east side of the property is mainly prairie grass and small cedars, with a hedge row separating the east boundary of my property and the neighbors.

The north boundary is the gravel road.

The soil seems rocky.

I know 3 acres is way too small to hold deer all the time, but I feel like the more reasons I give deer to visit, the better off I will be. So I was thinking some small food plots and possibly a small man made watering hole?

I just don't know where to start I have never owned raw land before. Any suggestions or advice??? Thank you I want to prep the property for maybe 3-4 sits in an entire season...I really don't know how much pressure would run deer off such a small piece of ground.

basspro05
500 Club

Re: Thoughts and Advice on my small piece of land.

Unread postby basspro05 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:33 am

Property has a gradual slope that runs down hill to the southwest, guess I should have mentioned that....the northeast corner is about 860 elevation, and the southwest corner is about 840.

It is in Northeast Kansas.
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:37 pm

3 acres is small. Are you targeting "deer" or mature bucks. What is the area around your property like....hunter pressure, food, water, cover or bedding? Is your land in a general travel route that deer use? You might Enhance your property based on what items are lacking around you. Do you need a late season food source? Water? How about good cover/bedding?
What is your access and escape routes? There is a lot to consider.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:54 pm

Just looking for deer to use it...not attract mature bucks.

I would say hunting pressure in the area is light.Surrounding area is not what I would consider prime deer country..mostly cow pastures. The closest crop land is about 1/4 mile west in river bottoms.

A river is about 500 yards north of it and there is a 1 acre pond 250 yards to the east. The creeks in the area only hold water in a heavy rains...they drain to the river.

Right now i can only access from the north border of property. Deer trails run to the west, north, and south. The east boundary is a real thick hedgerow with barbwire and vines...looks too tough to jump even for a big deer right now.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:08 pm

The place to put the foot plot would be up against the hedge row to pull them closer to your property. But you said the soil is rocky and I don't know if you have the equipment to do it yourself because it could get costly to have someone do it. Given that you bought this principally as an investment that would seem to be contrary to the point of the purchase. And it is a small parcel. But you could do something that would maybe pull them over in the winter.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:06 am

Buckfever wrote:The place to put the foot plot would be up against the hedge row to pull them closer to your property. But you said the soil is rocky and I don't know if you have the equipment to do it yourself because it could get costly to have someone do it. Given that you bought this principally as an investment that would seem to be contrary to the point of the purchase. And it is a small parcel. But you could do something that would maybe pull them over in the winter.

As far as the investment side of it, I bought it for about 1/3rd of market value, just stumbled upon the deal...
I took some money out of the stock market to buy it so it is mainly just a sit and hold thing.

I am in the market for a small tractor, something pretty cheap that is capable of working the land and future small properties I may purchase over the years.

Are you thinking the southeast corner where the hedgerow meets the back of my property line or more towards the road? Thanks.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:02 am

3 acres is small but it's plenty of ground to hold deer frequently, it just needs to be thick. You say the majority of surrounding ground is cow pasture, I would focus on bedding and maybe a small water hole. I see a lot of deer on properties I hunt with 5 or less acres of cover. Keep it or make it thick, with open ground around you will at least get doe bedding in there and then it's only a matter of time before bucks show up.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:55 am

Redman232 wrote:3 acres is small but it's plenty of ground to hold deer frequently, it just needs to be thick. You say the majority of surrounding ground is cow pasture, I would focus on bedding and maybe a small water hole. I see a lot of deer on properties I hunt with 5 or less acres of cover. Keep it or make it thick, with open ground around you will at least get doe bedding in there and then it's only a matter of time before bucks show up.

Thanks, I found one doe bedding area on it now and the bucks are definetely cruising it at some point in time...might just have to run a trail camera to see what times and conditions they are accessing it under.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:57 am

If it were me, I would do the grass on the East side of the property into food plots and sit the East boundary (hedge row) on West winds and never touch the rest of the property during hunting season.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:01 am

dan wrote:If it were me, I would do the grass on the East side of the property into food plots and sit the East boundary (hedge row) on West winds and never touch the rest of the property during hunting season.

Are you thinking just minimize scent and make sure they always feel comfortable in that one small key area, and try to capitalize on them leaving bedding and going to food early?

Would it be wise to place some cover across the front of the property to block the view from the road to make deer more comfortable entering the food plots during light?

Sorry if these are amateur questions...but I am an amateur :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:19 am

basspro05 wrote:
dan wrote:If it were me, I would do the grass on the East side of the property into food plots and sit the East boundary (hedge row) on West winds and never touch the rest of the property during hunting season.

Are you thinking just minimize scent and make sure they always feel comfortable in that one small key area, and try to capitalize on them leaving bedding and going to food early?

Would it be wise to place some cover across the front of the property to block the view from the road to make deer more comfortable entering the food plots during light?

Sorry if these are amateur questions...but I am an amateur :lol:

If left alone and bedding within the 3 acres, they will make it to the plots in daylight. Yes I would block the road, and would also consider planting barriers between plots so the deer feel like they are in small areas rather than one large one. It would also be a good idea to have an observation tree next to the road to glass before going in for the kill.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:22 am

Sounds like a plan, thanks everyone!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”