Asking for help hunting this new area.

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
ShagZ

Asking for help hunting this new area.

Unread postby ShagZ » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:11 pm

I have watched the Hill Country Bucks video a few times. I am not getting the jist of how to go about picking spots.
You say top 1/3 of the hill. Is that just in the immediate area or the mountain as a whole? I will watch the video a few more times before the opener on oct 4th. Help much appreciated in this area because i will go in blind. Thank you for your time. Marty

I saved 2 topo maps to post. If you need an aerial satellite view, Let me know.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Asking for help hunting this new area.

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:00 am

The swamp beds I would hunt on any wind. The hill beds I marked would work best for a South or West wind. Beds are marked red, stands blue.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:08 am

Bucks should bed in the red positions when the wind blows down the point.
ShagZ

Unread postby ShagZ » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:40 pm

Appreciate the time. I keep watching the DVD to see why these locations were picked.
ShagZ

Unread postby ShagZ » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Went out one day to check these spots on the hill side. Wind was in the N direction according to windfinder :( I am amazed of the sign in the areas picked out. beds/rubs.

My guess is find spots on the other side of the road for the N winds? Hunting time is limited. I do not want to post with my family and muck up an area with the wrong wind.

The swap area. i didnt even go into this year. Last year i stalked hunted to check the area out. While setting up a spot to sit, a pair of legal bucks (prob 2nd or 3rd year deer) trotted in spotted me, blew then took off.

Appreciate all of the people on The Beast forums. So much info to learn that can help be successful on a hunt.

Good luck in 2014!
ShagZ

Unread postby ShagZ » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:22 am

dan wrote:The swamp beds I would hunt on any wind. The hill beds I marked would work best for a South or West wind. Beds are marked red, stands blue.

i hunted all the hill spots all archery long with the wind in my favor. i did not see a deer. Sign was there, food was there. The only way i saw deer (does) was in rifle season (a lot of hunters on the mountain). i scouted all the spots on the hills during the few days i was out with the rifle. Snow in the ground there were runs with a lot of poop that was fresh right where i was posting fresh rubs also.

Issue i did notice when the snow melted there were red acorns all over the place, small roads covered in them like you poured buckets of them. i am thinking the deer are held up somewhere else (not there) and the sign must be nocturnal.

What do you all think?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:59 am

acorns can be more of an enemy than a friend in areas where they are everywhere. Deer don't move far from there beds to feed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”