Poison Sumac Anyone?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oneflag

Poison Sumac Anyone?

Unread postby oneflag » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:19 am

There have been a few threads on poison ivy and ticks. Not to mention all the other things we get into outdoors. A couple years ago I mowed over a ground hornets’ nest but that’s another story. Yesterday I decided to brush hog my small food plot. I put on bug spray, safety glasses, ear plugs, hat, boots etc. I fire up the ole 1943 tractor and things went well. I figured I would go down the road and mow one pass in a swampy area to the creek where I plan to deer hunt a couple sits. I get home and take a shower and lay in bed dreaming about the productive day I had. I wake up at 3am with a rash all over me and scratching. Older and wiser I couldn't believe it; what the heck did I get into this time? It seems Sumac is rare around here and grows in wet swampy areas. (Maybe the ducks and birds bring it in) I did some internet research and checked the path I mowed. Yep Sumac, the old bush hog slung that stuff all over me. The great outdoors kicked my but again. Sumac? I know all about it now!

backstraps

Re: Poison Sumac Anyone?

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:37 am

Sumac is by far the worse allergy I have. Before I knew what it was, my dad got covered in it. We took down a couple large trees on my place. The vines were so big I linked them up just the same as the wood.
We had tar looking horse shoe shaped spots on us and terrible rashes. Mine got so bad I almost was admitted into the hospital. Sumac will spread through your system and attack your weakest immunity areas. So happens to be underarm pits and groin area for me!! I had an accelerated heart rate that also drew concern to my doctor. After a few injections and a handful of scripts I was sent home for a week long marathon of it thing!! I can testify to one thing for sure now....I can and DO spot it far away now

[ Post made via Android ] Image
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:48 pm

After (backstraps) reply and some internet research, I ended up going to Urgent Care. The red itchy rash I had just exploded into welps everywhere. They gave me a Steroid shot and a couple prescriptions’.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:42 am

I've had a few run - ins with poison sumac a few years back, had bad reactions to it. One property I do not hunt because of it :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
TNRiverRat

Unread postby TNRiverRat » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:42 pm

Sumac is some bad stuff… I am not allergic to poison ivy or oak. One time when I was younger, a boy through some wood in a bonfire that had poison sumac on it. I was covered in solid red and welps from my nose to my waist line with it. I looked pretty rough. It is not a fun experience at all. One boy I was with ended up in the hospital because he breathed it in and ithe swelling closed his airway. Poison Sumac is no joke… I would rather run into copperheads, or cottonmouths over Sumac or seed ticks ANY day.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:10 pm

i dont have any problem
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
jreinke

Unread postby jreinke » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:26 pm

yikes

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”