yard planting

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
brkissl82
500 Club

yard planting

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:02 am

My wife and i are building a house on 3aces. The land is all wild grass, my question is how do i go about planting grass for my yard

[ Post made via Android ] Image

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: yard planting

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:34 am

I hope this is not preaching but just a suggestion. Add as much native plants and bushes as you are comfortable with. The less mowing and edging the more free time you will have for honey-do list and browsing the Hunting BEAST. My current home is a double lot and over time I knocked at least 10 percent of the mowing out. Just a suggestion.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:12 am

Sound like my home when I first moved in, I just started mowing and smoothed out the bumps along the way. If you are picky what grows you can till everything up and seed it but it is a lot of time/work/money to have a perfect lawn, I'm just not one of those people. As justdirtyfun said I made my lawn way too big to start, been cutting smaller and smaller every year.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:05 pm

I hear ya guys but i really do enjoy cutting grass. Also the whole point of getting 3acres was to have a bigger yard. It would be a waste if i just let it

FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Brush mow it first and let it grow for a week. Spray the entire area you want seeded with roundup. If everything is not dead in 2 weeks spot spray it again. Till with a rototiller possibly two times depending on soil type. If there are a lot of rocks you may need to have it Harley raked. If you have the equipment you can usually rent one from a hardware store that rents machines. If not then have someone do it or rake it by hand. Seed, rake in seed, and overseed, fertilize and straw. Water as needed

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:29 am

brkissl82 wrote:I hear ya guys but i really do enjoy cutting grass. Also the whole point of getting 3acres was to have a bigger yard. It would be a waste if i just let it

Just remember you have a yard not a lawn, unless the soil is rich and you spend a ton of money it will never look like the place where people club the ball trying get it in the hole.

kentucky 31 tall fescue does well in our area

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”