building doe bedding ?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
dreaming bucks

building doe bedding ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat May 10, 2014 6:01 am

I have a couple really nice u shaped pockets on my land (hill country). It seems like a perfect place for doe bedding, but there is not really much for cover up in those pockets... What could or should a guy do to make it look more appealing for doe's to bed in there..?

Should I hinge cut some trees in the area so they have some tops to bed in, and if so, is there a certain way to lay the trees down? Like all towards each other, or a certain direction, or just random directions?

Sorry, it might seem like sort of a vague question, but I'm just looking to improve doe bedding. These big pockets I'm talking about, are surrounded by nice tall ridges, with points coming out on these ridges, making for great buck bedding spots. I just want to make sure more doe's are bedding on our land, so when it comes crunch time, the bucks will be traveling these ridges and maybe dropping down into these pockets looking for girlfriends....

thoughts???

Brad

Re: building doe bedding ?

Unread postby Brad » Sat May 10, 2014 7:13 am

I would think hinge cutting would be best, and probably getting them to cross when they land too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 10, 2014 7:59 am

Just make it thick... Remove some trees to encourage under growth. In my opinion hinge cutting is more for bucks.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat May 10, 2014 8:11 am

dan wrote:Just make it thick... Remove some trees to encourage under growth. In my opinion hinge cutting is more for bucks.

ok, I guess I was thinking the hinge cutting would keep them alive for a few years maybe, and then they would have leaves to eat off the tops in the summer and fall...... but ya, I see what you mean, just make it good and thick... It's pretty open in there right now in the back part of the U shape...
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:39 pm

The biggest problem with folks making bedding is that the deer want to be there. if no food is near by, its wind blown or hunted hard- the construction tactic doesnt mean squat. water hole and food near by will help a ton. As others have said- thicker is better...and let the edges grow in as a buffer
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun May 11, 2014 1:34 am

yes, there is plenty of ag fields within 200 yards of this bedding spot... corn, beans, alfalpha..... & a waterhole 100 yards away.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jesse

Unread postby Jesse » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:07 am

I believe a buck or doe bedding area correlates more with the location of food rather than type of habitat or any other land feature. Does will bed closer to the food than bucks. The closer u get the does to bed to the food the more room u leave for the bucks to bed behind the does. As for makings bedding area, hing cutting would be the way to go. Make sure that when u hing cut for bedding,u cut at waist to shoulder high. Use waist to knee high for blocking deer or creating a screen. Also it would be a good idea to surround a hing cut with a few spruce trees to make them feel hidden. Check out whitetail habitat solutions by Jeff sturgis , he has a lot of info on his page. Also Itasca nursery is a great place to order spruce trees.
Good luck

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:18 am

I agree with all the above post, I have a few acres and a small plot I tinker with. I was reluctant to hinge cut. I done some reading and also called one of our DNR folks. It not only helps deer but helps all wildlife. It will help your hard woods that you want to keep, Oaks need sunlight. I did what they call a buffer. I hinge cut trees all the way around my plot. Deer will probably not bed right there (on my plot), my point is that it creates great habitat for all critters to use.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”