New apple trees

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
ozzz

Re: New apple trees

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:56 pm

I have five pear trees that I think will be 4 or 5 this year. They had pears for the first time last year but I plucked almost all of them off. I diversify with Crab Apples too, those should start to produce quicker.

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:24 am

exojam wrote:Now if they come in about two years it sure won't be tons of them.

Maybe Deerslayer will see this and chime in since he is a lot smarter than I in these matters.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Those Gold Rush on B118 will probably take 3 years because they are small whips, but you might see some sooner. If they were well branched 4'-5' trees you would most likely see a few apples next year or the year after. If they branch out on their own this year you may see apples sooner. They should shoot up this summer and then come March next year you will want to make a heading cut about 6"-8" above where you want your scaffolds (permanent branches) to be.

What do you have to pollinate them with?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:23 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:

Maybe Deerslayer will see this and chime in since he is a lot smarter than I in these matters.

Those Gold Rush on B118 will probably take 3 years because they are small whips, but you might see some sooner. If they were well branched 4'-5' trees you would most likely see a few apples next year or the year after. If they branch out on their own this year you may see apples sooner. They should shoot up this summer and then come March next year you will want to make a heading cut about 6"-8" above where you want your scaffolds (permanent branches) to be.

Bees or whatever else nature provides. I do not have any other apple trees planned.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:40 pm

exojam wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:

Bees or whatever else nature provides. I do not have any other apple trees planned.

Gold Rush are not self pollinating. You must have a different variety nearby or you won't get any apples.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:20 am

Thanks for the information Deerslayer.

Hopefully I only need one or two of a pollinating type since that is about what I can afford right now.
mike_mc

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 am

Here's a chart that shows which trees would be good pollinators. From what I have read, a apple tree needs to be within 200 yards to pollinate.

http://www.acnursery.com/apple_pollinizer.pdf
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:38 am

I spoke with Cummins Nursery (where I ordered the gold rush) and they are all out (busy wise) so he asked to spend over a e-mail to track what I am looking for. I may not end up with a B.118 root stock tree to pollinate the gold rush but he said that is OK.

Worst case he stated is cut a branch off of another apple tree somewhere and tie it onto my trees as a temp work around in case I cannot get any trees this year.

Not to sure if I want anything from Home Depot or places like that. I did stop at a nursery a bit ago and they wanted dang near 70 bucks for one tree.

Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:57 am

I ordered my trees from grandpas orchard last year, I was satisfied with the trees. Not sure on what they currently have available but might be worth a look.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:00 pm

exojam wrote:Thanks for the information Deerslayer.

Hopefully I only need one or two of a pollinating type since that is about what I can afford right now.

I would think about getting a Honeycrisp. They are a good eating apple that keeps well and dose not fall all at once like most commercial varieties. If you can't find them on B118, they do well on MM111 which is about the same size and you can still get them at http://www.grandpasorchard.com/index.cf ... /index.htm

There are several other good pollinators too though.

Pollinating trees should be within 200 feet of each other for good fruit set and closer is always better.
Longbow

Unread postby Longbow » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Crabapples are good pollinators too

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:30 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
exojam wrote:Thanks for the information Deerslayer.

I would think about getting a Honeycrisp. They are a good eating apple that keeps well and dose not fall all at once like most commercial varieties. If you can't find them on B118, they do well on MM111 which is about the same size and you can still get them at http://www.grandpasorchard.com/index.cf ... /index.htm

There are several other good pollinators too though.

Pollinating trees should be within 200 feet of each other for good fruit set and closer is always better.

Deerslayer,

You kill me man, I am about to be ordering 2 honeycrisp's from the same nursery. I saw your e-mail notice right after I rely lied to them. They will be here within a week and I will get them in the ground.

exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:44 am

I got the two honeycrisp trees planted today. So I should all set to see some apples in how ever many years it takes.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:17 pm

Nice job Jamesy Appleseed!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:28 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Nice job Jamesy Appleseed!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

What I can feel on my body is killing me. We tried to clear some scrub trees while out there today.

Moe is not going to be able to make it over. The issue he has going on will be taking all of his spare time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:41 pm

exojam wrote:I got the two honeycrisp trees planted today. So I should all set to see some apples in how ever many years it takes.

Are they nice sized and well branched?

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”