Logging tips or advise?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

binney59
500 Club

Logging tips or advise?

Unread postby binney59 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:53 am

We have a 30 acre parcel in NE WI that hasn't been logged in a long time if ever. The plan is to select cut it next winter and I wanted to hear from the Beasts on any tips or advise you would offer? There is a small pond in the middle of the property that used to hold water but has filled in with leaf litter over the past 40 years since it was made. The rest is a fairly clean slate. There are railroad tracks forming the west boundary with a few homes on large wooded lots on the other side of the tracks. The rest is all wooded with small logging roads making up the North and East boundaries. Yo the south is continuous woods.

Anything I should take into consideration when logging this piece? Anything you wish you would have done or not done if you've logged before? Thanks in advance.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bigburner

Re: Logging tips or advise?

Unread postby Bigburner » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:44 am

Best to get up with a forester and lay out your goals and objectives then have it marked and go from there. If its a good slate you can manipulate for both wildlife and timber production and also create scenerios where whatever is done silviculturally will also improve your hunting and the ability to keep those deer or turkey or whatever on your property. I would also advise you to explore having a stewardship plan written for your property as well. It will lay out your long term management goals and give some time lines to go on to do certain things at certain times to keep your goals on track.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:33 am

Thanks for the insight. I agree that it'd be nice to have a long term plan. Not sure if we will go with a MFL program or not but either way we need a plan.

In addition, if anyone has a recommendation on who to work with (or who not to) in the Appleton area I'm all ears. We had a forester we worked with in Marrinette County who was good and fair but always open for suggestions. Thanks

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:59 am

If I wasn't 1500 mi. Away I'd do it myself. Good luck with it. Sustainability is the key. As long as you keep that a top priority you'll be in good shape.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:10 am

I'd get the forester too.

One thing I would NOT do is go 50/50 with the logger. They want to log your land, and get 50% of the total take. I think you can do better than that. I would try and pay someone to skid it to your header per 1000 board feet. SO much for softwood and a little more for hardwood. Maybe $100 per 100 board foot for softwood, and $125 for hard. Pay him to slash the brush, bring the wood to the header, and cut it to length where the buyer says to cut it. And then I would arrange my own wood buyers. Some buyers may pay for for a certain wood than others. Make them compete. And be there when the buyer is there. I just don't trust the 50/50 deal, or wood being sold while your not there.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
carl1191

Unread postby carl1191 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:23 pm

It really depends on the makeup of your woods. If you have aspen, clear cut it or it will slowly be replaced with later sucessional species. If you have oaks leave the best acorn producers and try to leave a variety of species if you have them. Also, avoid cutting in square blocks. You will gain more edge habitat if you follow natural lines and transitions. If you can avoid cutting it all at once. Plan a cut rotation instead. This way you can provide young desirable forest for a longer time. Most importantly, write up a contract with your goals and objectives clearly stated and have the logger sign it. Also it would be well worth it to hire a forestry consultant.
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:47 pm

There is solid logic behind hiring a forester. 30 acres, when logged incorrectly , is small enough to see every mistake. Hiring a forester will give you the best opportunity of having the property logged and managed correctly. Bigburner laid it out really clearly all the benefits.
Good luck with it!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”