How would you go about logging this Hill Country property?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RED OAK

How would you go about logging this Hill Country property?

Unread postby RED OAK » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:10 am

I currently have a logger working close by to this property and I would like to take advantage of his services to improve my habitat and put a little money in my pocket. However my primary reason for owning this property is for hunting and not income from trees. I would like to hear and see what you would reccomend on areas to cut and areas not to cut. He will clear cut, select cut or avoid areas that I instruct him to. I have already put allot of thought into this but I would like to see what someone with experience (especially Dan) or others on improving this type of property for buck bedding. I only get one chance to do this rite more than likely. I would assume based on my Beast knowledge that I want to keep him on the top 1/3rd elevation throughout the property but I am not positive. Any constructive input/ideas you may have please feel free to share. Thanks-

Bucky

Re: How would you go about logging this Hill Country propert

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:24 am

Sweet looking chunk 8-)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:26 am

wow that looks nice :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:30 am

select cut only! I would not clear cut! we had ours done over the last few years and makes a huge difference! Ours was select cut, and we let a few of the big knarly trees for turkeys to roost in
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:42 am

huntinfool14 wrote:select cut only! I would not clear cut! we had ours done over the last few years and makes a huge difference! Ours was select cut, and we let a few of the big knarly trees for turkeys to roost in

Agree... no clear cut

Obviously you don't wanna loose oak trees either....

I will say a buddy of mine did select cut on his land and it got THICK, deer love it now for bedding with all the thick undergrowth
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:47 am

I'd select cut all the points. Do the rest of the TSI yourself.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:02 am

Bucky wrote:
huntinfool14 wrote:select cut only! I would not clear cut! we had ours done over the last few years and makes a huge difference! Ours was select cut, and we let a few of the big knarly trees for turkeys to roost in

Agree... no clear cut

Obviously you don't wanna loose oak trees either....

I will say a buddy of mine did select cut on his land and it got THICK, deer love it now for bedding with all the thick undergrowth

I wouldnt totally avoid harvesting oak trees. While I agree its important to preserve mast trees, it is wise IMHO to harvest diseased trees or trees that are impacting the production of your stronger oak trees. A few more dollars in your pocket too.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:42 am

Consider select cutting the opposite side of the hill (on the jutting points) from the steepest ridge (likely bedding, leave alone).
This may entice the path of deer, hopefully bucks, with browse as it grows in...

Do you know where the beds are now?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
RED OAK

Unread postby RED OAK » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:55 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Consider select cutting the opposite side of the hill on jutting points from the steepest ridge (likely bedding, leave alone).

Do you know where the beds are now?

Yes. I have had the property for about 5 years now and know it very well. I still learn bits and pieces every year but I have a very good idea on how the bucks use the proerty. The aerial is slightly dated as I have turned a good chunk of the tilliable up top into food plot strips etc. There is roughly a half dozen "Buck Beds" that I have identified and have had success with. There are also some beds just outside my property that I take advantage of coming to my food.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:34 am

I'd leave all oaks, and any other nut trees. Beech's I'd leave, hickory , and butternut all leave. All mast trees I'd keep.

If you want areas to grow in thick, I would think you'd need to cut enough to let some light in.

I'd also think about cutting back on the edges of my existing fields. Those trees tend to creep in, blocking light for the crops.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:30 pm

I would select cut the tops right to the elevation line where bedding occurs. Leave the hillsides mature because bucks like to bed on the edge of thick looking over an open hillside below. Leave a few good oaks back a hundred yards or so, as close as you can get to hunt, but remove all the oaks from the bedding points. Bucks bed on the points for safety, if there is a great food source such as acorns right at there beds they won't come out till after dark. Even remove them from the side hills. Make the buck move to where you can kill him for acorns. I would also select cut the bottoms...

One thing that works real well is not to do the whole property the same year, span your sections out over time so you always have good growth stages on your land.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:55 pm

It depends on what percentage of your trees are mast producing, but basically I agree with Dan except I think I would get it all done at one time unless the logger expects to be back in the area at the proper time due to rotational cutting in the area, because I'm not sure if you would have enough future select cutting to get a logger back in there on your own. A forester could answer that question. Speaking of which, I highly recommend hiring a forester to run the operation. They may take 20%, but they more than make up for it by getting more for your logs and making sure only the trees that are supposed to be taken are harvested. They will also make sure the logger doesn't damage other trees and that they clean up the property so it isn't left a disaster.

Loggers are notorious for convincing people to skip the forester and then putting the screws to them. They don't want foresters involved because foresters know what the trees are worth and have a good contract that holds the logger accountable. You usually end up with about the same money or even a little more despite paying the forester 20% of the profits.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:57 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:It depends on what percentage of your trees are mast producing, but basically I agree with Dan except I think I would get it all done at one time unless the logger expects to be back in the area at the proper time due to rotational cutting in the area, because I'm not sure if you would have enough future select cutting to get a logger back in there on your own. A forester could answer that question. Speaking of which, I highly recommend hiring a forester to run the operation. They may take 20%, but they more than make up for it by getting more for your logs and making sure only the trees that are supposed to be taken are harvested. They will also make sure the logger doesn't damage other trees and that they clean up the property so it isn't left a disaster.

Loggers are notorious for convincing people to skip the forester and then putting the screws to them. They don't want foresters involved because foresters know what the trees are worth and have a good contract that holds the logger accountable. You usually end up with about the same money or even a little more despite paying the forester 20% of the profits.

Completely agree with DeerSlayer.

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:36 am

I think before you decide what goes and what stays I would contact a forester. Not sure where you are at but I'm sure the county or state or extension provides these services. Even if it has a cost assciated with it you will have far greater piece of mind about your decisions. You have a trained resource professional that is going to work with your goals and objectives and also consider environmental impacts and long term forest health and production. There is for more to consider than most think about and you don't want to cut trees just based on species or size , ect. , ect.. You should really take a look at the various age classes. What is shade tolreant what is shade intolerant. If I 'm cutting oaks and I want oaks to regenerate afterwards there are things that have to be in place for that to happen. I deal with this all the time and having been a logger and now a forester. I know what your goals are I know what the loggers are (paying bills) and I know that a forester is always biased toward the overall health of that particular stand and the to balance that with the landowners landowners vision. And if you find a forester that is into hunting, they will usually take a vested interest in your land. I'm usually contacted after harvesting has occured by a landowner that was reluctant about their decision and went on the motivation of the logger or thier misconceptions. They ask me what I can do to improve my property and 90% of the time I tell them the only way you are going to get what you want out of this is to start over and wait 50 yrs. You see their face drop and I say you should have called. All the services my state provides are free and it surprises me how many people don't take advantage of it. Remember you're dealing in decades and you want the results you want in the shortest time possible and it takes twice as must work and time and money to fix a mistake when it comes to this kind of stuff. Just my 2 cents but at least give it some consideration.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:50 am

Would it be wise to wait for the WDNR's Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP)?

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”