Topo and aerial map ideas

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rairdog

Topo and aerial map ideas

Unread postby Rairdog » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:31 am

I have been hunting our family farm of 350 ac for the last 10 years. It has been in the family for 25 plus. Just playing around and thought I would get some different perspectives. There are approx 30 blinds and stands mostly around the field edges and some 1/2 way up. To the West is 63K of Military base which id wooded ravines with very few draw hunts. North is wooded ravine. To the East is power line, mixed woods and some top agg. South is river bottom agg.

Most of the stands are double buddy for the old man to get in. They are just not high enough for cover and the mature deer seem to avoid them. I get the place to myself during the week. On weekends there can be 4 or 5 hunters. The campers and barn are on the S end. The winds is mostly Southern early season. Near dusk it begins to swirl with the thermals and gusts N and S. I don't hunt much S wind mornings and get blown off putting on my boots or walking up the valley. On a good N wind I head for the N end up the middle or skirt the sanctuary to the top and head N. The sanctuary has been in effect for over 20 years so the does hang out right in front of the campers. There is usually a buck guarding the sanctuary does but a ghost most years. There is usually a buck guarding the secondary sanctuary but very hard to hunt because of winds and E-W valley. Late rut the bucks come in from the NW border.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Topo and aerial map ideas

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:52 pm

Every once in a while a post falls through the cracks and it seems like this post is one of those.

I'm not sure what type of perspective your looking for and I don't know where all the blinds and stands are or how the guys hunt it, etc. So I just marked yellow and black dots where I would look for mature bucks to bed (outside of the sanctuaries). You might consider adding some water holes where I put the blue dots too. Replanting those old food plots with some brassicas and a good perennial mix might not hurt either as long as they haven't grown up enough where they are being used as bedding areas.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:08 am

I hunt a couple pieces of land in NW PA my family has owned/hunted for about a decade or so. What I have found is that if you walk around the entire property and make it a point to avoid every pre hung, previously hunted stand, you will inevitably walk through the resident buck's daytime travel corridors or bedding areas , if they exist on the property.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:30 am

I marked red dots where I would suspect buck bedding on or close to your property. I marked blue dots in good looking spots based on bedding and elevation. I would scout the property in spring and look close at the actual beds and determine how to set up to kill the bucks just out of sight, sound, and smell based on what you see.
Personally, I think you should occasionally hunt the "sanctuaries"

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”