Hunting wooded island - how would you set up?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Hunting wooded island - how would you set up?

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:43 am

How would you hunt an island this small without scaring the deer out? I have scouted this piece and there are rubs all along the transition line from marsh to woods and a real nice buck bedding area on the NE tip of the wooded island. Also a big doe bedding area along the SSE side of the island. Surrounding the island is all thick brush, cattails, and long grass (very tough to walk through quietly).

Also, to the south is state land, but I don't think anyone deer hunts it really - the wooded "island" is all private.

Let me know what you guys think!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting wooded island - how would you set up?

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:25 am

Most of the mature bucks will likely bed off that N.E. tip like you stated, however, I would put there beds within the cattails and brush along that tip.
I would set up very close to the tip in the middle of the wooded area and shoot them when they travel down the island from the beds to feed in the evening. I would either drop below the island and hook up, or above the island and hook down for access depending on the wind direction...

BLUE = ACCESS TO ISLAND
RED = BUCK BEDS
YELLOW = STAND

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”