Map advice...

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jjm335

Map advice...

Unread postby jjm335 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:55 am

All,

First time posted and very excited to be here. Just read the Article on Dan in Field and Stream and thought finally someone that is "real" and hunts successfully on land that most actually hunt. I've hunted on public land for years and I'll be honest I hate it, but I just cannot find anyone willing to let me hunt on private land so I better learn how to take advantage of what I can hunt.

I'm new here and don't know how things work so could you give me some direction? Do you have a DVD that goes over the basics?

I really would like to inquire about two of my spots, here are the maps, what are your thoughts? The one with all the vanes through it is a clear cut and it is a giant wall of brush. My issue is how do I even start trying to figure out where they bed in there? Any basic advice?

jjm335

Re: Map advice...

Unread postby jjm335 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:58 am

Here are the topos for those spots. Not sure why the one is blue...

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:08 am

Welcome.......... and yes there is DVD's available from Dan...... Hill country, and marsh bucks dvd's are awsome.... it really opens your eyes after watching them, I know they did for me, and many others.....
jjm335

Unread postby jjm335 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:45 am

Thanks Dream, I'll check them out. I would love to know more about identifying bedding areas and in particular a bucks bedding area. This seems like the challenge to me..how do you know it's a bucks bed.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:04 am

jjm335 wrote:Thanks Dream, I'll check them out. I would love to know more about identifying bedding areas and in particular a bucks bedding area. This seems like the challenge to me..how do you know it's a bucks bed.

That's where the video's really come in handy, Dan covers the difference between buck bedding and doe bedding really well. I hunt primarily hill country, so I don't know alot about marsh or flat country... also, don't be afraid to go to the search feature here on the Beast, just type in buck beds or something in that nature, and it should bring up all kinds of past discussions on the subject...

I will let someone else give their advice on the land you have posted...... I just don't know enough about flat land like that, although I do have a few ideas as to where they could be bedding..
jjm335

Unread postby jjm335 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:50 am

I struggle with the cutoffs and super thick areas where deer could bed in a large area like the one map above. I'm just not 100% on what to do. I have had success but not consistent

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:25 am

Welcome to the BEAST! 8-) Marsh bucks DVD, and Hill country DVD will teach you a ton about hunting beds. They are both available in the store on this site.

Kind of busy at the moment but I quick marked in red on this map potential bedding areas.

jjm335

Unread postby jjm335 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested in what you think for the cutoff area, it has a lot of activity but is extremely thick.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:49 am

The two red dots

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”