What's the going rate on a good lease?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
PLB
500 Club

What's the going rate on a good lease?

Unread postby PLB » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:04 pm

I went and walked a 120 acre farm yesterday with the landowner. It's 75 woods with 45 beans, corn and Xmas trees. The wooded part is thick beautiful white cedar with ash mixed in. Probably saw over 20 deer. They were just piling out in groups single file as we walked. There is some real good point to point funnels and brushy fence line funnels. The property gets gun hunted opening weekend by the family. That's it for pressure. It's not QDM as was evident with the 4 basket racks they shot opening weekend last season while passing numerous others. There is also a man made pond for a water source. Good neighbors and very private, tucked back away from the road. Good entry and exit using fields. I like it because its not a pass thru property. Deer are living there year round. There are lots of deer there and it is set up pretty good for multiple stands for varying winds. What could I expect to pay for spring turkey and all of bow season?? Thanks PLB

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
rack addict
500 Club

Re: What's the going rate on a good lease?

Unread postby rack addict » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:02 pm

I think it depends on the area but I would expect you would be in the ball park of 1,800 to 3,000. I guess it would also depend on what this person thinks there property is worth.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:12 pm

It's about 30 minutes from my home in NE WI. It's primarily a farming area with smaller wood lots. He is asking 1500...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:54 pm

I know nothing about it, but that doesn't seem too bad, as long as they are not constantly walking the land.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:58 pm

$1500 sounds pretty reasonable. I would be a little concerned about the land owners shooting off all the young bucks before they get to age though...
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:02 pm

$1500 seems OK. But you have to consider that there is no management. In a way, its not real different than public via - management, but you do have little to no pressure leasing it. Horse a piece. For the right price, id say go for it!

You can always check out www.basecampleasing.com to get an idea on going rates for all sorts of properties.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Ask them to include second week of rifle and all of muzzle. for sure a good price if it is prime ground.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:27 am

If a guy wants a quick place to hunt close to home I guess it's the going rate but would be super leary of them hunting gun season.

They could be coming in the 1-3 weeks before gun checking cameras, placing bait or fixing up stands and screw the whole rut season up for you.

If you're just looking early season or for does might work for you then. Maybe looking for a place to bring the kids and let them watch you hunt (or them if they are old enough) then I say go for it. When the kids are along most of the time then price becomes a lower prioity IMO.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:38 am

I don't know about Wisconsin so much. In Iowa you wouldn't touch 125 acres for $1500.00
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
wibowhunt4me

Unread postby wibowhunt4me » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:57 pm

We pay $1300 per 40 acres in the Tigerton area without any quality deer mangement restrictions. Our friends pay $2000 per 40 acres but it is all quality deer management with a 140 class or better restriction. All of their food plots are managed by the leasing agent.
aspire to inspire before you expire
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:08 am

In Crivitz, we pay 700 for a 40 acres parcel, but there isn't as many deer up there as in Tigerton or even Shawano area. So for 125 acres, 1,500 isn't to bad.

If you don't want them running all over before gun season, maybe work a deal out with them. They provide the stands, you will find good areas for them and set them up for them and share some of your trail cams pictures with them ( not all the big ones) :) Maybe he will drop the price a bit and the urge to "walk" the property before gun season won't be as great if you keep him and his family in the loop on the stands and deer.

Just a thought.
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”