small plots big woods

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
User avatar
exojam
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: In bed looking out the windows
Status: Offline

small plots big woods

Unread postby exojam » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:28 am

Before I go crazy trying to get some food plots installed in the spring, I have a very basic question.

Would adding small food plots, say only about 20’ x 20’ (say 3 of them) do me any good in an area that covers about 200 acres? This land borders conservation land that all totaled would be probably 400 plus acres.

The reason for the plots being so small is they would be in the “forest” and have to be done by hand. I know a soil test should be done and I have the form from UMass for that all ready.

The best I can tell is the food sources the deer have now is what the woods provided; acorns, small little trees (?) and whatever people plant at their houses. Small steams are near two of the locations I am thinking and one is by a marsh type area.

The areas looked at for these plots appear to have pretty open canopies so the sunlight should be pretty decent.

Thanks in advance,

James


User avatar
kwaldeier
500 Club
Posts: 967
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:30 am
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:50 am

I would say it would have an impact depending on how much food there is there and how easy it is for them. If it is a staging plot they stop at before a bigger field then good but no matter what if they are in the area at all they will make their way to it eventually!You just have to plant stuff that is rarely available to them.
User avatar
exojam
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: In bed looking out the windows
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby exojam » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:12 am

There are not many acorns for them this year so any other natural stuff they can get or what they are getting out of yards it is this year.

I have attached a picture showing the approximate locations (in red circles) where I am thinking and also to show what woods and houses are around. They are no farm type fields anywhere around this location.

For what to plant, it would be discussed with Deerslayer since I would like to order from him (his company). Dan did mention the Crimson blend in another thread to me.

Image

James
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 38585
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:48 am

I think it would be a good benefit for most people, but a great benefit for you considering your personal challenges.
I think it would be good if you can keep them close to buck bedding areas, or areas you normally see daytime deer activity. It would also be good to set it up so deer come from the opposite direction you access from, and your side of the plot where your blind is, is blocked so the deer can't go in that direction very easily. So they never smell your presence.
User avatar
Edcyclopedia
Posts: 11803
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:54 pm
Location: S. NH
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:55 am

dan wrote:I think it would be a good benefit for most people, but a great benefit for you considering your personal challenges.
I think it would be good if you can keep them close to buck bedding areas, or areas you normally see daytime deer activity. It would also be good to set it up so deer come from the opposite direction you access from, and your side of the plot where your blind is, is blocked so the deer can't go in that direction very easily. So they never smell your presence.


Sound advice!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
User avatar
exojam
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: In bed looking out the windows
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby exojam » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Dan,

Thank you very much for the reply.

On the two plots that are somewhat in a line, this is the path that has historical deer travel. I am getting this information from the gentleman and his son that has been very kind to me and has taken me out so many times this year. The father has been at this club for probably 40 years or more and knows the property pretty well.

The one plot out by itself is a more open type area where power lines runs. I do have a doe, a six point and a 4 point on camera in that area. Not huge deer but that is what I had seen and have easy access to.

As for putting them next to buck bedding I will be honest and state that I have not found any as of yet. My plan is to do heavy scouting in the spring and look this property over as much as I can.

James
User avatar
exojam
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: In bed looking out the windows
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby exojam » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:40 pm

Another question I have is concerning the soil test. In the form it wants you to indicate a “crop code”. Now based off of what is listed (see screen shot), I am assuming this is meant to say what you plan on growing in the soil. Does this seem correct? Thanks.

Image

James
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 38585
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:33 pm

exojam wrote:Another question I have is concerning the soil test. In the form it wants you to indicate a “crop code”. Now based off of what is listed (see screen shot), I am assuming this is meant to say what you plan on growing in the soil. Does this seem correct? Thanks.

Image

James

I believe your assumption is correct... If your planning on using the Crimson trail blend, I would call deerslayer when you get a chance... His computer crashed, so phone is the only way to contact him right now.
User avatar
Edcyclopedia
Posts: 11803
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:54 pm
Location: S. NH
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:58 pm

exojam wrote:Dan,

Thank you very much for the reply.

On the two plots that are somewhat in a line, this is the path that has historical deer travel. I am getting this information from the gentleman and his son that has been very kind to me and has taken me out so many times this year. The father has been at this club for probably 40 years or more and knows the property pretty well.

The one plot out by itself is a more open type area where power lines runs. I do have a doe, a six point and a 4 point on camera in that area. Not huge deer but that is what I had seen and have easy access to.

As for putting them next to buck bedding I will be honest and state that I have not found any as of yet. My plan is to do heavy scouting in the spring and look this property over as much as I can. James


Look me up and I'll be glad to give another set of eyes and some boot leather for you James...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
NatureBoy
500 Club
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:14 am
Location: MA
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:50 am

exojam wrote:I have attached a picture showing the approximate locations (in red circles) where I am thinking and also to show what woods and houses are around. They are no farm type fields anywhere around this location.
James

A word of advice James: Keep the coordinates out of your pictures. Secrecy is going to be key to keep the locations that you uncover hot for years to come. As soon as word gets out that you've found paradise, or created it, it's over. The place will be crawling with hunters, invited or not. Remember, we live in one of the highest hunter per available land states in the US.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
User avatar
exojam
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: In bed looking out the windows
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby exojam » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:52 am

NB,

If this was public land I would completely agree with you. This happens to be the private land (a rod and gun club) so I would really like to hope people are not going to be dumb enough to trespass on this property.

But, I did try deleting the photo from Photobucket but it is still showing up here (maybe a mod could zap the picture for me) as I was going to attach one that has the coordinates blacked out.


Edit:
The photo is now gone and marked one is now up. Thanks NB.

Image

James
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 38585
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:09 am

The coords are "zapped out" you must have modified the picture in photo bucket. There is a black mark where they used to be.
User avatar
exojam
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: In bed looking out the windows
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby exojam » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:58 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
exojam wrote:Dan,

Thank you very much for the reply.

On the two plots that are somewhat in a line, this is the path that has historical deer travel. I am getting this information from the gentleman and his son that has been very kind to me and has taken me out so many times this year. The father has been at this club for probably 40 years or more and knows the property pretty well.

The one plot out by itself is a more open type area where power lines runs. I do have a doe, a six point and a 4 point on camera in that area. Not huge deer but that is what I had seen and have easy access to.

As for putting them next to buck bedding I will be honest and state that I have not found any as of yet. My plan is to do heavy scouting in the spring and look this property over as much as I can. James


Look me up and I'll be glad to give another set of eyes and some boot leather for you James...



Ed,

I will most definitely take you up on that offer. I am hoping to have a way to transport my scooter by spring since there is a huge forest that I really want to scout out near my house.

James
User avatar
exojam
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: In bed looking out the windows
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby exojam » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:00 am

Well went out to grab the blind I am using and prepare the scooter to be taken home today and snow is coming and that will end my hunting at that location. Main thing though is I was able to grab a bag of soil to have it looked at for one small food plot.

James
User avatar
bbahunter
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:04 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Status: Offline

Re: small plots big woods

Unread postby bbahunter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:13 am

NatureBoy wrote:
exojam wrote:I have attached a picture showing the approximate locations (in red circles) where I am thinking and also to show what woods and houses are around. They are no farm type fields anywhere around this location.
James

A word of advice James: Keep the coordinates out of your pictures. Secrecy is going to be key to keep the locations that you uncover hot for years to come. As soon as word gets out that you've found paradise, or created it, it's over. The place will be crawling with hunters, invited or not. Remember, we live in one of the highest hunter per available land states in the US.


X2, couldn't have said that better. too many inconsiderate people out there, and they probably don't care if it is private or not.
Pope and Young Associate Member
Massachusetts Bowhunters Life Member


  • Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest