What to seed a logging road with ?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

What to seed a logging road with ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:53 am

I'm going to be putting in a little logging road to our ridge here in a few weeks, and I'm looking for ideas for what to plant in there next spring. I'm thinking it's going to be about a 10 foot wide by about 100 yards long. So, I'm looking for something reasonable in price, but yet would really like to build up a good root system to stop erosion. I'm not real concerned about deer being attracted to it for feed, they have all kinds of it around it. When we logged a few years ago, they planted some clover on the roads they put in then, and that seemed to thrive really well, not so much the first year, but the second year it really took off. Our soil is a black sandy soil, with some clay in spots.

what do you guys think? what is a good affordable seed to put in for stopping erosion? and how much of it would I need to do a 10 foot wide, by 100 yards long? Thanks.........

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What to seed a logging road with ?

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:58 pm

I think a good clover mix would work. Im sure DeerSlayer could whip you something up fairly inexpensive.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Clover is a safe and resilient product that yields good results in most climates and terrains with not as much work as others types...

Nice GOAT, yours?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Definitely clover. It wouldn't hurt to throw in a little high sugar rye grass too. Whatever you use it shouldn't cost much since your only planting about 1/14th of an acre. You can just throw a cheap red or white clover out or you can get a good blend with more persistent clovers that maintain a higher level of protein and digestibility over the growing season. Either way it shouldn't cost a lot.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:36 am

I thought I'd seen this somewhere. It's a publication for small landowners regarding logging...

(edit) the seed mix list/chart didn't copy well. It's appendix D, pg 147.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:12 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Clover is a safe and resilient product that yields good results in most climates and terrains with not as much work as others types...

Nice GOAT, yours?

Not my Goat, just a random pic I found..... but I'm actually looking for a lemans or goat right now, if I don't find anything yet this fall, I am going to get something next spring.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:14 pm

Thanks for the info guys.... I will probably get more serious about it here next spring when I go to plant something in there. It gives me something to think about this winter though.... thanks again!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”