Public Land BEAST Need advice

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Public Land BEAST Need advice

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:38 pm

There has been two landowners telling me about a huge buck within the last 2 weeks. Both guys described what I think to be the same buck. However, this is some rugged land with many different terrain features. The small field just east of where the creek comes to a head spring, is where he was seen first. Just SW of that field is where he was seen again with a doe, they were bumped up from bedding at 13:00 in a huge running green briar thicket. IF you were to turn your head towards the right, the field that looks like a number 5...between that number five and the creek is some small grown up fields.....thats where he has been seen.

ROTS DOTS indicate approximates sighting spots

The white lines are representing roads...however, those are overgrown logging roads. You can barely walk those..so they are no access areas of anykind.

The wind is generally coming out of the South, or South West. West however is the prevailing wind.

Where and how should I start? I have 3 days I can chase after him before heading home,

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

backstraps

Re: Public Land BEAST Need advice

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Should also mention, this will be very high pressure area during the three days of hunting due to shotgun season opening Mon. I can hunt Sat-Tues however hunter begin going through the woods in many area on Sat searching for spots to hunt Monday morning. By mid-day Monday and all day Tuesday, hunters continue to walk through parcels of land hunting and deer driving.

This particular area doesnt "normally" see the gun hunters until Tuesday midday.

Looking for what you guys may think the "high pressure" areas to hunt would be???
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:16 pm

ttt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:05 am

If the sightings were during the rut, finding him now might be difficult because he may have been there just based on the doe... But I would certainly check out the area he was seen in midday...
I marked up a topo based on your S to S.W. winds.
Red is likely bedding, blue is good ambush spots based on sightings and wind. On the two spots farthest East, you would need to hunt the upper spot 1st so your wind on the lower spot don't spook him.
When I hunt a spot like this and only have three days, I will bump the bed after the 1st hunt just in case he came out a different way leaving only the last two spots for him to bed. (stacking)
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:39 pm

dan wrote:If the sightings were during the rut, finding him now might be difficult because he may have been there just based on the doe... But I would certainly check out the area he was seen in midday...
I marked up a topo based on your S to S.W. winds.
Red is likely bedding, blue is good ambush spots based on sightings and wind. On the two spots farthest East, you would need to hunt the upper spot 1st so your wind on the lower spot don't spook him.
When I hunt a spot like this and only have three days, I will bump the bed after the 1st hunt just in case he came out a different way leaving only the last two spots for him to bed. (stacking)

Hi Dan, thank you for marking the map.
You are correct, both sightings were during the rut. Both sightings were with a doe too. I really appreciate
the advice. I was told there were two pickup trucks parked on the gravel road south of this area this morning. I had a buddys wife come home from taking her daughter to school this morning to see if anyone was parked near. Unfortunately, there were. Both trucks were non residents from PA
Shotgun season opens there on Monday. So this weekend usually gets walked a pretty good bit. Guys setting up stands for Monday's opener.

I do have a question for ya if you dont mind:

When you guys look at maps that have these long ridges with deep long cuts up each side...during the non rut early season, and post rut late season...do you mostly concentrate on the points at the end of the ridges (example the south end of the points on my map) more for buck bedding, or do the points that finger off the side of the ridges often hold the same amount of buck bedding. In example, on my map posted, the points that are facing towards the South West allowing North East wind bedding.

Hope that question makes sense...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:35 pm

When you guys look at maps that have these long ridges with deep long cuts up each side...during the non rut early season, and post rut late season...do you mostly concentrate on the points at the end of the ridges (example the south end of the points on my map) more for buck bedding, or do the points that finger off the side of the ridges often hold the same amount of buck bedding. In example, on my map posted, the points that are facing towards the South West allowing North East wind bedding.

The question is a bit confusing... But, I will try. During the rut, the middle of a leeward ridge would probably be better for cruising bucks than a "dead end".. Outside of the rut, any one of those points could hold your buck. The ones I concentrate on, are the ones that have great bedding for most common winds, are remote, and/or not bothered by many other hunters.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:04 pm

dan wrote:

The question is a bit confusing... But, I will try. During the rut, the middle of a leeward ridge would probably be better for cruising bucks than a "dead end".. Outside of the rut, any one of those points could hold your buck. The ones I concentrate on, are the ones that have great bedding for most common winds, are remote, and/or not bothered by many other hunters.

Okay, yeah that answers what I was asking. Thanks. I have already scheduled days off work to scout this coming post season. I CANT WAIT :P
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:28 pm

Any update on this setup?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:22 am

Sorry for the late reply. It appears he is using the head of the creek for a travel path between doe bedding. With a southernly wind he can scent check the whole hollow basically with one pass. Also while bedding on one ridge or the other at the head he can monitor one doe group or the other while also giving himself security in the process.
The spots Dan has marked up are good possible locations. I have one spot in hill country that is very simiar. Its good for a reason though too. The hollows produce swirling winds, thermals are tough, and they can see and hear for miles.
Would a stand at the head of the creek be worthy of a sit? Looks like it is in the heart of doe bedding, saddles, and pinch points.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”