Topo help. Advice/What to look for.

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ShagZ

Topo help. Advice/What to look for.

Unread postby ShagZ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Just moved into this area past year. Going to hunt PA Gamelands. This area is one that a friend use to hunt. It has been said that they bag a nice rack every year during rifle season. I plan to hunt archery only. I never really did the topo scouting thing. Just scouted early with gut feelings on where to post. Not sure what to look for in this map and other areas close to home i plan to hunt.

I appreciate your time with any help with these maps, so i can use that knowledge for scouting other areas near my home.

Thank you.
Marty

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Topo help. Advice/What to look for.

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:43 am

I would be a little concerned with your hunting area choice because of the easy access trail and it being obvious to other hunters... I marked spots I would expect to find a buck bed in red I marked spots I would likelt consider a stand position for cruising bucks in blue I also drew blue lines in the spots I would scout with the stand on my back ready to hunt when I found good sign.

ShagZ

Unread postby ShagZ » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:04 am

I greatly appreciate your time for this!!

I am told no one really archery hunts this area. Although it is close to homes and game land. In my area MOST do not archery hunt. The orange army im sure will be heavily populating this area. I do have 2 other sets of gamelands near my home. I will be scouting those also.

Trying to learn from what you posted and added to the topo map. What makes you think that the bedding areas will be in the red areas? I would like to apply that knowledge to the other sets of gamelands i will hunt.

Thank you for your time.

Marty
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:05 am

Big bucks will prefer to bed along ridges and especially on points along those ridges. They like to have the wind from above blow over there back while they watch the valley below and also use the thermals to there advantage. The beds will be right where the thermal air current from the bottom meets the natural wind from above.
I released a whole tactical video about how bucks bed in this terrain and how you hunt them based on this info... It also has some really good hunting footage showing the tactics in use. Its called "Hill country bucks" and you can buy it on this site at this link:
shop/product.php?id_product=16

No pressure to buy, just figured it might be something your interested in based on your question.
ShagZ

Unread postby ShagZ » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:19 am

Thank you. I was looking over the video section. Good stocking stuffers ;)
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:41 am

You have some nice funnels on those saddles. Dan put a blue spot there. Also that bench looks good as well in red in upper right hand corner. These would be better to sit during the rut times like Dan said. Looks like a good area.
ShagZ

Unread postby ShagZ » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:03 am

Hunted my off for 5 days sun up to sun down. Great deer sign in the blue marked spots and along the swaps/pines...No deer!!! No tree rats either. Just chipmonks..Ran into 2 hunters on the abandoned railroad 1 day out..Not sure what the deal is. Too much human pressure from the trails and abandoned railroad?

Still second season archery left after xmas. Not sure i want to waste my time here or venture to new spots to check out.

Thanks for the help scoping the places out DAN. You were pretty much spot on. Just no deer during the days i was out..The hurricane,almost nor'ester, cold days then summer type temps got the deer messed up i think. Most of the sign i think is done at night.

Only 2 diehard hunters within 30mi of me got a buck this year.

Hope you all had a great season so far!!!

Thank you for this forum :) Best of luck to all~!!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the spots... My population is down, and I can sit a lot of great spots day after day and not see a thing. Then in one day, one spot might be the ticket and everything changes...
ShagZ

Unread postby ShagZ » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:37 pm

dan wrote:Big bucks will prefer to bed along ridges and especially on points along those ridges. They like to have the wind from above blow over there back while they watch the valley below and also use the thermals to there advantage. The beds will be right where the thermal air current from the bottom meets the natural wind from above.
I released a whole tactical video about how bucks bed in this terrain and how you hunt them based on this info... It also has some really good hunting footage showing the tactics in use. Its called "Hill country bucks" and you can buy it on this site at this link:
shop/product.php?id_product=16

No pressure to buy, just figured it might be something your interested in based on your question.

Great DVD!

So much knowledge to be put to use.

Appreciate all of your time and effort.

Thank you all.

Marty
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks for posting this guys, the topography is similar to the land I hunt so its could to see additional examples of potential buck bedding areas and travel corridors.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”