Aerial of rut funnels and stand placement

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Z7WIBoy

Aerial of rut funnels and stand placement

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:08 am

Can any of you guys post a aerial of a rut funnel and stand placement. Just trying to get an idea of what to look for and what others are doing for hunting funnels

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
Z7WIBoy

Re: Aerial of rut funnels and stand placement

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:09 am

Forgot to say thanks in advance this will help us green horns out!!

Platinum PETA Member
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:43 am

this is one of my favorite funnels on the farm .......i can only sit it on a northwest or west wind. the deer funnel through here going back to bedding....i see most movement at about 8-11am....i say eight because that's about when the sun hits the forest floor and starts making up drafts from thermals witch creates a thermal tunnel right in the pinch....i put green dots where i sit ...depends on the wind direction i sit only three trees, the right trees...if the wind is right my wind will blow straight up leaving me completely undetected unless they cross my access route on the bottom side, witch they do from time to time, i would say 95% of the movement is right in the that thermal tunnel area....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Here are some classic bigwoods funnels that I marked some stand locations, the problem with bigwoods funnels is that they are extremely large. Sometimes you have 200 to 500 yard area conecting huge bocks of timber so it takes some good scouting and sometimes a lot of luck to be in the right place at the right time.

Here is a good example of a logging funnel where you can work the corners to your advantage. Sometimes in remote bigwoods you have to look bast the logging roads and look at the big picture. I have seen bucks cruise through within mintues of trucks and others hunters walking or driving by.

Here are a couple of nice river crossing funnels, I rarely see deer here but when I do they are usually of the mature buck variety.

Here is a great funnel around a lake connecting some big country. This is a new funnel for me but it will only be a matter of time before it starts to produce.

This is what I like to call an opposite funnel. You have some points of high ground that deer travel through, most of the time it is does and young bucks. However you are also funneling nice sized chunks of swamp in the opposite direction as the highground and the mature bucks will use this nasty stuff for travel and to scent check the does crossing on the high grounds funnels.

And finally one of my favorite funnels, it is not super large or obvious beside the pond/river but it connects 3 doe bedding areas and ther are alwasy big tracks here.

I shot this buck in the above funnel on Nov 9, 2010.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:12 pm

This is what I would call a perfect example of a bottle neck. I arbitrarily found the best example I could, for illustration purposes. I don't hunt this bottle neck, but surely would. I also marked where stand locations should be placed. I hunt a lot of bottle necks but they are not as clearly defined as this one. This should give you an idea of what to look for. The best bottle necks would have bedding on both sides, bedding one side & food sources one side. The poorest choice would have food sources or open fields on both sides of the neck.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks guys these are awesome examples and really helps. This is what this site so awesome!!

Platinum PETA Member
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:39 am

Headgear, I love your bigwoods funnel examples!! The logging area and river crossings are textbook funnels!! Awesome!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:35 am

This is a bottle neck I did hunt. The buck was bedding on another guys property but I had him patterned and set up on him exactly like this. I hunted with a SW wind. I did not kill the buck he was killed by another hunter. Just another example of a bottle neck for you to visualize.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:14 am

Here is a funnel my friend and I used to hunt YEARS ago. Almost makes me sick to see all the development in this aerial photo. You can see the obvious pinch at the north end of this lake, and the yellow dot represents where somebody had built a permanent stand. It was at the narrow point and stuck out like a sore thumb. It was a classic example of being sky lined. What we knew that this guy likely didnt know, was there was a fence to the south represented here by a red line. It was at least 5ft tall and was the 6"x6" panel type fence. Yes deer could jump it, but we found a hole in that fence where the red X is. On the right wind, we would sit at the base of a big old tree marked here by a blue dot. It was 20yds to the hole in the fence. I took a 2.5yr old 8pnt here. We know he was at least 2.5yrs old, cause when we cut him up, we didnt notice anything unusual. However when my uncle was eating the neck roast, he found a broad head. :shock: This tree was no more then 8yds from that fence, so odds of a deer looking "down the fence" were rare. My friend had 2 encounters with a slob at this location. The first encounter the buck came thru the fence from south to north(seemed to be the preferred travel direction in the evening) and turned and walked right down that fence. My friend was within feet of this big buck and didnt dare move. The buck walked on by, but paused and looked right at him, burning a hole thru him. The next encounter with that buck, the buck walked thru the hole as planned and my friend put an arrow in him. The buck mossied off to the north and disapeared into the brush. Quick thinking my friend got up and ran around the west side of the lake. He got to the far end and just sat. He figured if the deer didnt come out, he knew he was in that finger of woods and good blood trail or not, we would find it. He was shocked to see the buck headed his way. He knocked another arrow and when the buck paused to look at him, he burried the shaft into his chest. Frontal shots are not generally taken, but my friend felt he was shooting a wounded buck already. He said the deer ran past him and as he watched it, it almost fell over, but hit a tree and that kept him up on his feet. He couldnt get another shot and the deer again was gone in the brush. He went back and got his dad to help track it. Judging by the hair at the shot, he feels his first shot was low in the brisquet. As they tracked the deer, they found he was checking and working scrapes. He said you could almost track that buck by his smell. It was rut time and he said that buck just plain stunk! The blood trail lead them past his second shot and out to that field. At the edge of that field was a chunck of meat about 3ft high, appearing to have come from the second shot hole as the deer had brush drag between his front legs. That was the last blood and he never found the deer. We grid searched that field the next day and he even went up in a tree to see if he could spot anything. That field back then was 8-10ft tall brush. He watched for days/weeks for obvious crow/vulture activity, but nothing. Its very possible there was another hunter in that woods north of the pond that might have saw the buck and maybe got on the track sooner and stole it. We will never know.........
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
eastwoodhunter

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:34 pm

this thread was exteremly helpful for me understanding funnels and stand placement
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:28 am

Here is one in a public spot I would like to try out some day. You could probably find 100 other funnels on this piece but this one seems to connect two huge pieces of timber.

mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:13 pm

I'll play! :)

Here is an aerial of one that I have never hunted... I'm making a big effort to try to get away from crowds this year and coming up with some unorthodox stands and this is one that I picked out. Please feel free to tell me your thoughts... It will only be hunted during the rut, as that is probably the only time I'll really get to hunt due to family obligations.

99% of the pressure is contained in the red area, the high elevation where you don't get your feet wet. That's also where the only trees are for stands. From what I've been able to determine from the aerials, bedding is just to the north of my picture in a big brushy/thick area... crops are all located to the south, it's corn this year. I would take the canoe in the river and take it to where the cattails begin, and then set up somewhere in the area i circled in green. I'm hoping the river that I take in and the lake on the east filter the deer through that area?? It could be a total bust as I haven't had a chance to scout it or hunt it before, so we'll see... What do you guys think?
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Here is an aerial of a property I am very familiar with... and again sticking with the theme of trying new things this year, 2 of the 3 new stand sites are brand new. The stand towards the top left is old faithful, I've seen some fantastic bucks from that stand.

The yellow areas are "dead" areas, with short marsh grass and really not many deer travel through those areas during daylight. The areas in red are known bedding.. Blue line is a creek. I will access the 2 stands on the west by walking through the creek. I'm excited about the southwest stand, it's right on the fringe of bedding and I could see a buck walking along the creek with a north wind checking for does...
Now on to the east stand. This is a brand new spot, one I never thought to look at until this spring. Not real sure about it, it is more or less a spot that nobody has ever hunted before so I thought I'd try it. There are RR tracks to the right that are quite elevated and "filter" deer between that and the dead area to the west. At least that is what I'm thinking might happen. Found some good rubs in there this spring... Here's an access question though - do I take the dead silent approach of walking the tracks even though they are elevated? (Would deer see me in the dark??)? Feel free to offer up any suggestions on this too.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:27 pm

Bump. Good information here. Maybe something to see for the upcoming spring scouting trips.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:38 am

Nice bump ! Thank you !

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”