How do these points look?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

How do these points look?

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:03 pm

So these are sections of a chunk of public that I had posted about in the 500 club months ago. Big woods, 12,000 acres total.

i dont have these particular areas scouted. I have never set foot in them, but I plan on trying to hunt this area blind and spend some good time in there this year.

Below are 2 sections of the park that I have interest in. I zoomed in on the particular areas I would suspect are being used for buck bedding.

On this first map I circled 3 areas where from what I have learned on the Beast, I would suspect a big buck to bed. Tell me what you guys think? would these be good points to try and sneak in on in early to mid October? If they are, would they be the same locations you would hunt during the rut? I numbered the circled area to help identify any area you guys may comment on....

This next map is another area. I dont see anything that jumps out at me for bedding but I numbered areas that I would think may be a good place to look.

I will be heading in blind to these areas and setting up when I find buck sign and think I may be close. This park is HUGE and the maps I am showing are roughly 3/4 of a mile to a mile by 3/4 of a mile to a mile, but thats measuring on google earth and does not accomidate for terrain changes so I am guessing it is way more than a mile by a mile wide.

Big woods is very intimidating to me so I want to be able to go in with confidence. There is no agriculture or fields close by these spots.

Thanks guys for any input.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How do these points look?

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:46 pm

In the 1st topo, #1 is a draw, not point. I think you might be looking at #2 inverted too... But regardless, there may be beds to the steep sides. I marked red dots in buck bed looking areas... I drew a blue line along the transition in elevation I would expect bucks to both bed on and traVEL ALONG. Expect some bucks to bed at the tops of the ridges over looking / and with a view of the hiking trails.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:53 pm

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Do you think using a hiking trail for convinienve would compramise my hunt? I would approach my stand sight out of sight of where we are suspecting the bedding, so the bucks would only see me walk by on the trail, but I think bucks are used to watching people walk by on the trails. If I didnt use the trail I would have to walk through a borderline impenetrable area of mountain laurels.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:56 pm

dan wrote:Image

Those areas would be very easy for me to enter un dedected. Close to the road too!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:02 pm

GRFox wrote:Do you think using a hiking trail for convinienve would compramise my hunt? I would approach my stand sight out of sight of where we are suspecting the bedding, so the bucks would only see me walk by on the trail, but I think bucks are used to watching people walk by on the trails. If I didnt use the trail I would have to walk through a borderline impenetrable area of mountain laurels.

Yes, even though I suspect bucks are watching those trails, its the smart access cause they expect it and ignore it as long as you stay on the trail. The key to accessing on the trail is getting on and off out of sight, sound, and smell of the suspected target animal.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:41 pm

Nice thread.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”