Need help on my hunting area - TOPO & MAP

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

addisonlee

Need help on my hunting area - TOPO & MAP

Unread postby addisonlee » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:03 am

First off, thanks for looking and giving some advice. Much appreciated. Thanks.

A little about the area, it's public land near private and receives alot of hunting pressure. I've only hunted this area once this season, due to hunting pressure.

Here's a few maps of the area, please help mark your suggested buck beds. Thanks.

Here's a birds eye view of the area:

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Need help on my hunting area - TOPO & MAP

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:57 am

I cant tell you exactly where bedding should be based on the pic's, but I would scout the transitions. I marked the path I would walk. I would hunt the spots when I found sign if scouting / hunting now... In spring I would search the sign to find the beds.

addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:48 am

Thanks Dan for your unbelievable ability to see deer signs. You are truely blessed with a gift my friend. Keep doing what you do best.

You completely changed my prespective on how to hunt this area, since I've been focused on the west side of the river more so than the east side of the river. It makes since why the mature bucks would bed on the west side of the river with the higher elevation overlooking everything. One of the main reason's why I have not hunted the east side of the river is due to small game hunters, but I may have to look into this more when scouting in the spring.

Many of the possible buck beds you've marked are in open hardwoods, would you recommend hunting these areas in the mornings, mid-day or evenings? Also, the main food source besides the corn field would be acorns right around the buck beds. Thanks again for all your expert advice.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:10 am

Here's a bird's eye view of the area you mentioned with the possible buck beds to give you a better idea of the area. As you can see the road comes a long way and if access by walking only from the parking lot. Many small game hunters access the area from the east and there's also a hiking path through the middle of the hard woods. The transition line has been full of deer signs but I've yet to actually look for buck beds in the open hard woods. I'll be looking more closely into this side of the river in spring.

Would you suggest a path you would recommend walking when scouting now and in spring?

With the upcoming gun deer season I won't have time to scout but plan to hunt this area during the late season. As well as scout this area during the gun season for signs, since hunters will be walking all over these areas anyways. Any suggestions how to set up on these possible buck beds? Thanks again Dan. Much appreciated.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:02 am

If presure is heavy, you may want to hunt down in that swamp or on a thick ridge... If pressure is moderate or low, hunting the ridge at about the same elevation of the bedding between bedding spots or where ridges meet.
Might be tough going in there blind, but after scouting I think you will see some of it better... Do to pressure, some of the spots may pan out, and some might not.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:09 am

Got a chance to go scout out the area. Most of the beds you suggested didn't pan out due to heavy hunting pressure but a few spots did, along with some nice rubs, scrapes and big tracks.

Big buck bed...

Big buck track...

Thanks again Dan.

Quick question... Would you hunt these same areas like you do before the gun season? And from your experience, do the mature bucks come back to use these beds after the gun season? Thanks.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:46 am

Yes... I do hunt the same beds after gun season. Sometimes certain beds with low or zero presure will really pan out after pressure, and beds that were driven, or pressured might go cold for a while... Most of the older bucks I shoot come from beds that rarly get molested. So if anything looked like it recieves very little pressure, even if its a couple hundred yards from pressure, I would concentrate there.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:53 am

TTT
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”