Lake Michigan Salmon/Steelhead

• Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Lake Michigan Salmon/Steelhead

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:24 am

Its not quite hunting season yet so why not go after Michigan's big fish. And I was getting tired of the crappie bite that has slowed.

We took a trip last Thursday to Lake Michigan. Headed out of Luddington, MI on the Polecat with Capt. Doug. We is my neighbor Ron, his son James, and Ron's nephew Lil George, and myself. We have done these trips before but it has been about 4 years. We used to go out with a friend of Ron's as far back as 20 years ago. I have only been on about 4 not counting this one, and they are usually a blast.

This one was no exception. I was blown away by the energy of Capt. Doug. To say he was relentless at the ripe young age of 60, is an understatement.

Heading out.

As the sun was coming up Capt. Doug was already on them.

Scenery pic, Capt Doug on the left, James in blue, and Ron in flannel.

I don't do a lot of this type fishing and I am just blown away with how many rods these guys do and how they are not always in a mess. It takes some serious fishing skills and a lot of experience, I am guessing. I asked a lot of questions because this is so different than what I usually do. We did not have a lot of salmon, a few kings, a few cohos, then some lake trout, but the day was dominated by Steelhead. Biggest fish was a 25 lb. King, but we had a group of steelhead that were 9-13 lbs. I think we limited on steelhead and for the day.

And for you all that haven't fished the Great Lakes, we were in mostly 400 feet plus of water most of the day, and would come up the shelf on the in troll to about 300-250 and then go back out.

Some action shots. James took these. Oh but first the cooler steadily filled all day long.

me

Lil George

This wasn't the last of the cooler, wish I would have gotten the last, but we couldn't even haul it off the boat with all the fish and water and ice + cooler with out splitting it in two. I figured we had 250 lb of live weight fish in there at the end. Could barely shut the lid, and than goodness for a few shakers or sandwich fish.

At the dock. Capt Doug made a call at first light because of a forecasted storm coming in at around 6 pm to fish all day instead of doing a morning and an evening trip, like we were supposed to do. He said the day bite has been good lately and did not want to miss as well. From what little I do of this, August is the desired time for king salmon and that is usually the target fish, but he said weather, mostly wind has been weird this season and there might be some left that haven't run up all the rivers. The steelhead bite even caught his attention as a pretty outstanding day. near the end I asked him how this trip compared for the year and he said best in the last couple months, but on the way in and at the cleaning station I heard him say Luddington hadn't seen a box like this in a while. I think he was referencing the outstanding steelhead catch we had.

What a day, when we got back mid day on Friday and split everything up, we weighed 87.5 lbs of fillets. I got a tail gate pic of the cleaned fish, and may add it, but anyone that knows me also knows after 9 pics I am kinda tapped out.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Lake Michigan Salmon/Steelhead

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:34 am

Good deal Lou! Sounds like a hoot!

I did one of those for my Dad last year. He was caught a few and so did I, the biggest being this Laker.

IMG_2477.jpg

I used to love fly fishing for steelhead in the rivers, but deer hunting blew that up real good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:57 am

Good fish Dave. I asked the capt a few times how the bite was on your side of the pond, he didn't give me any information that was definitive.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:09 am

Now that’s what I call slaying some steel!!

I miss the steelhead guiding days of my youth.

Hey Lou, fire up the smoker!! Smoked steel is off the charts!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:46 am

8-)
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:46 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Now that’s what I call slaying some steel!!

I miss the steelhead guiding days of my youth.

Hey Lou, fire up the smoker!! Smoked steel is off the charts!!

You make it down and Ill fire it up for you.

I know I have my priorities all messed up. Fishing Thursday, coyote scouting tomorrow. I got to get right some time, I think deer season is coming up :?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:47 am

stash59 wrote:8-)

I am so out of my element doing this type of thing, but if I have a chance to stick a bullet, a broadhead, or a hook in it, I'm in
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:36 pm

Nice haul Lou.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Love the fishing, especially charters. You guys had a great day, congrats! Most of my hunting is solitary, so I like that the family gets in on the fishing trips.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Nice! Something that I have never done.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:21 pm

nice catch, can you ship me a few filets please?
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:34 am

8-)
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:48 am

8-)

Nice!!

That's a pile of fish.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:59 am

Looks like you had a day of days, one to cherish for along time. :dance:
I hate to admit it, but big water fishing was always my first love. Trout streams right on the heels of that. Growing up in a fishing/non-hunting family was a huge part of it. First hunting experience wasnt till I got back from the Phillipines at the age of 22. Then a really good fishing pal got me hooked on hunting the next year and I got a second season in before spending the next 3 seasons in Germany. Finally landed in the Upper Peninsula at the age of 30 and got a taste of bow hunting and was instantly hooked. Been at it ever since.

• Advertisement

Return to “Great Lakes Fishing”