Summer run Skamania

• Advertisement

HB Store

Lastcast#1

Summer run Skamania

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:47 am

I grew up on Saginaw bay so I know we are certainly lucky to have an incredible walleye fishery. I love chasin em on the ice. But man I like a fight. I caught my first king casting from the S pier in Oscoda when I was 16 years old. Immediately caught the "fever" and the rest as they say, is history. 1000s of hours in all kinds of crazy weather on the pierheads chasin silver of some kind. Love it. Few years ago I caught my first summer skam. WOW!. Crazy fish. No other fish in the great lakes can match the first 40 seconds.Fish is on crack ! Plain and simple.

So I am headin up for a couple days next week as a few fish are starting to show up. Primarily night and early am fishing. Here is a pic of a 12lb skam caught by a friend recently.

Good fishin beasts

Chad

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Summer run Skamania

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Good luck Chad, I love Skam Steel and chased them from the start of their appearance in the Great Lakes. Don't forget the June run of St Mary's steel in the rapids, late because of the frigid Lake Superior water. Also (bonus) every day that passes brings us closer to the Atlantic Salmon run in the St Mary's... watch both runs progress on the LSSU ARL fishcam on your computer. Great stuff, "the Leaper" will test your tackle in a BIG way.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:18 am

Went 1 for 4 on Skams, and 3 for 3 on giant cats. My family lives in Brimley Bridge.I spent a year at LSSU and fished down by cloverland often.Caught a ton of pinks and kings back then. Havent made it to the rapids yet.I fish the skams in NW Michigan.

We have a place on Caribou Lake near Detour and I pull meat with the kayak during the summer months for waldos.Good times in the yak.Probably why I dont make it up and over to the rapids. Take a right on good ole 134 heading east, instead of heading north..Have you ever hunted the cranberry flooding area in the eastern UP?

Chad
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:02 am

I use to love fishing for them. It's not like it was years ago. Pretty slim getting one in the river i fished them in. I miss those lighting fast balls to the wall fighting fish. Once they're done, they're done though. Glad to see you getting in on the action. 8-)
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:50 am

Nocturnal wrote:I use to love fishing for them. It's not like it was years ago. Pretty slim getting one in the river i fished them in. I miss those lighting fast balls to the wall fighting fish. Once they're done, they're done though. Glad to see you getting in on the action. 8-)

They certainly fight to the death, literally. I wouldnt advise releasing any skam if caught in the river. Great table fare.
Often I go on streaks of landing 5-10 in row. Followed by 1 for 4 nights like the other day. Usually if I lose one its due to abrasion on a leader or they come off on the first jump.

Back at it this weekend.

Chad
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:39 pm

Are you getting them in the lake? Or you fishing the river for them? Looks like your on the lake shore. Your right though, a lot of times they are too exhausted to release but more often than not, they come back to life. It just takes some patience.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Fishing a river quite a few miles from the lake. Water temps 68-70 generally. I have tried to revive many fish with zero success. Not saying it cant be done, just havent seen it be successful myself. I am always surprised at how few people fish for these. Simple set up , other than a decent rod. Generally easy to hook up with a little basic river fishing experience.Hard to land though. I think it may be lack of awareness.

Regards,
Chad

• Advertisement

Return to “Great Lakes Fishing”