Couple gear questions

• Advertisement

HB Store

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Couple gear questions

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:58 am

I'm in the process of accessorizing my 1st big Lake boat.....
*Anyone try the agm batteries, pros and cons?
*How about landing net, everyone says Beckman, but they're gonzo. My fishing will consist of great lakes trout, Salmon, and pike?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
dirt nap giver

Re: Couple gear questions

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:13 am

I don't know about the AGM battery, but the net would be a Ranger

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:19 am

dirt nap giver wrote:I don't know about the AGM battery, but the net would be a Ranger

K I know you're getting into musky fishing, shape, size of net you use, pros/cons to a retractable handle?

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:23 am

olivertractor wrote:
dirt nap giver wrote:I don't know about the AGM battery, but the net would be a Ranger

K I know you're getting into musky fishing, shape, size of net you use, pros/cons to a retractable handle?

I went with the Drifter XXL.
Ranger is a smaller net, suited more for trout species and the ones mentioned.
I looked pretty hard at the Ranger line, but when it came to release the ranger isn't a brand good for that strictly because of size and the strings aren't coated.

I bought the Drifter strictly because of the benefits to the Musky

I wouldn't do a perfectly round net, and a retractable handle would be determined by the room available on the boat. If your running a smaller boat, then a retractable handle would be a must.

Have you looked into the Stow a way? Or Stow Master? Frabril has some great nets as well.

What's your budget?
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:23 am

dirt nap giver wrote:
olivertractor wrote:

I went with the Drifter XXL.
Ranger is a smaller net, suited more for trout species and the ones mentioned.
I looked pretty hard at the Ranger line, but when it came to release the ranger isn't a brand good for that strictly because of size and the strings aren't coated.

I bought the Drifter strictly because of the benefits to the Musky

I wouldn't do a perfectly round net, and a retractable handle would be determined by the room available on the boat. If your running a smaller boat, then a retractable handle would be a must.

Have you looked into the Stow a way? Or Stow Master? Frabril has some great nets as well.

What's your budget?

Not worried about budget, as want to get right one right off. Have looked at a few frabil's, nice nets for sure, spendy, but if they're worth it than I have no issue with. Don't have a lot of places to physically look at em. Definitely leaning towards a misshaped. Durability being huge factor, cause it's gonna take a beating, lol. Thanx

Skyler_2010
Facebook: I don't have a facebook

Unread postby Skyler_2010 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:50 am

I dont have personal experience with agm batteries but my interstate dealer is saying that if you want longevity they are absolutely the way to go

"If your not helping hunting, your hurting hunting." Fred Bear.
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Skyler_2010 wrote:I dont have personal experience with agm batteries but my interstate dealer is saying that if you want longevity they are absolutely the way to go

That's kind of what I heard. Summer is a lot shorter where I fish so I wonder how colder temps would affect these batteries? I keep reading all the benefits to them, but basically what it boils down are they cost effective due to life of battery? I'm not running major electronics so my daily longevity of a battery doesn't have to be superb.
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:51 am

Also anyone have any experience with auto drain plugs, boat I bought came with it?

olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:29 am

Found a Beckman on clearance, 30 X 42 little bigger than I wanted but for $53 I'm not complaining, it's like a small miracle :lol: :dance:
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:05 pm

olivertractor wrote:Found a Beckman on clearance, 30 X 42 little bigger than I wanted but for $53 I'm not complaining, it's like a small miracle :lol: :dance:

Nice find.
I just finished washing my boat, updating the software and installing lake maps chip.
Tommorrow is gonna be a good day for fishin.

• Advertisement

Return to “Great Lakes Fishing”