Smelt fishing

• Advertisement

HB Store

Yumi

Smelt fishing

Unread postby Yumi » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:13 am

Everybody s ice fishing for the time. I cant wait to dip out some smelts up in lake superior even if there's ice during april and may.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Smelt fishing

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:20 am

I give you credit. Smelting isn't as fruitful as years past.
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:38 am

You could also hit the ice now and try to catch a meal of them. I have seen a lot of them the last couple times out.
Yumi

Unread postby Yumi » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:21 am

Hilts wrote:You could also hit the ice now and try to catch a meal of them. I have seen a lot of them the last couple times out.

I know some folks fishem and I heard there big, But Ill wait till they start spawning. That way I can dip more. I caught a full bucket last spring, and it will be crazy if its still a glacier in the late spring
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:47 am

When I was a kid my Dad used to take my smelt fishing and he would take two buckets and put a 6 pack and ice in each one and walk the pier in Milwaukee on lake Michigan and when he would see a group with several buckets and no beer he would say "trade you buckets" and he always got takers... We would get two buckets of smelt in 15 minutes. :lol:
pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:52 am

My dad tells stories about the good ol days where they would fill a 30 gallon drum (don't ask me what they did with that many smelt) in a couple hours. He always follows up with a story about how if you are hauling 30 gallons of smelt in the back of a panel van you should either strap the barrel in or don't slam on the brakes when a deer runs in front of you. :doh:
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:44 am

dan wrote:When I was a kid my Dad used to take my smelt fishing and he would take two buckets and put a 6 pack and ice in each one and walk the pier in Milwaukee on lake Michigan and when he would see a group with several buckets and no beer he would say "trade you buckets" and he always got takers... We would get two buckets of smelt in 15 minutes. :lol:

Thats a great memory and funny also!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Great Lakes Fishing”