Just Joined a Lease Club - Can anyone give me pointers?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Waddams

Just Joined a Lease Club - Can anyone give me pointers?

Unread postby Waddams » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:36 am

So just joined a Lease Club. Have been to the property twice. Once to visit, once to start working on a camp set up for myself and do a bit of scouting. I also put out 2 trail cams. Maps are attached. I took ONX screen snips and augmented them with a PDF markup, then exported to JPG for posting. Tried to make the images self explanatory, but:
-Camp site is marked in RED
-Cam locations are in BLUE
-They have a pin in board with the stand locations marked (sort of accurate, room for error, I haven't been all over and seen them all yet) - stands are in PURPLE
-Used RED to also mark the little bit of sign I've found so far. Have not scouted much so far, the afternoon there was spent building a wood platform to stick a cabin tent on, and then we wandered around the SW part of the property. Haven't been anywhere else yet. Found one, single old rub along the creek down there, no others. Did find a bunch of old scrapes, one or two of which might be getting hit occasionally still, but nothing that really defined for me any particular movement, except the RED DOTTED corner of the field with a ton of mult-directional / multi-species tracks, and one clear trail heading to the cutover adjacent marked with the red arrowed line.

Bow season starts here September 12th. I'll be still hunting / scouting through the property more as I'm able to be there. From the vids and other posts/info on this site already, I've got a few ideas on where else to start, points at the transitions between planted pine and natural creek buffers, and the club president gave me some intel on where the deer (doe's mainly) like to move, but also figured I'd ask the forum for ideas. I've got a 2 man ladder stand in my backyard that I'd like to figure out a spot to put up. My wife is in a hurry to get out of the backyard! Am looking to get it set up somewhere before rifle starts mid-October, with intent that it's for filling the freezer, not big antlered trophy mature bucks. I'll mobile hunt for the big guys, and figure I shouldn't go busting through looking for buck beds this close to season starting and inadvertently chase any big one's off.

From what I'm told, hardly anyone bow hunts of the members, there's 12 members, about half are there during the week, the other half are weekend warriors like me. And 4 or 5 of 'em hardly hunt anymore. They're 70+ yr old guys that just want to be in camp to escape their wives, and maybe shoot a doe for some deer burgers once during the season. I said all that to preface this - lots of stand options, but they usually won't all be full during the season. Maps 1 and 2 are blow ups, Map 3 is a bigger view showing them both together. Overall acreage is about 460 acres total, both north and south of the road that splits the property.

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bwhit16
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/whitley16

Re: Just Joined a Lease Club - Can anyone give me pointers?

Unread postby Bwhit16 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:28 am

Best success I have found hunting clubs,

Walk further, go in the hard to reach areas and hunt the over looked spots.

Don't hunt the club stands.

Hunting a club is a lot like hunting public sometimes worse. assuming they have quality deer let the other hunters push the deer to the pressured beds then slide in for the kill.
Waddams

Unread postby Waddams » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:45 pm

Rifle opener this past weekend. One guy got one doe. Four guys missed their shots, 2 or more each. Me, I was in my climber, wife wanted to spend the night at camp (she likes the woods), but got lost on her way out. In the process of texting her thru her said panick, I had a buck coming up from the draw behind me bust me messing with the phone. I didn't see the pine needle trail until I was in the air. Two rubs on it, 20 yds from me. If I could have sat still and he didn't look up, he might have walked right under me. I heard him take off, turned to look and saw him heading back down the draw. Dang-nab wife!

I might have seen him this afternoon, was scouting a trail on the property line and saw a buck go by on the neighbor property. Didn't shoot, illegal to shoot onto someone else's land.

Had initially not seen any rubs. This weekend, I started noticing rubs - every little fir tree was hit. And found my first ever for certain deer beds, full of hair, smelled. Stumbled on the first one by this bush, then started finding others by more of that same species of bush. Found 2 groups, and 4 lone beds. They're all 40-60 yds from my trail cam.

I've seen that sometimes deer will prefer a certain tree or vegetation for rubs, scrapes, beds. Finally getting a feel for what they like at this property.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:06 pm

While I’ve never been in a hunt club, I killed my first public land buck near a hunt clubs campground and campers that was adjacent to the WMA I was on. Close to the property line and wma campground, very overlooked but a gnarly spot.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:22 am

Does the lease allow you to bring guest? If not, sorry I can’t help ya :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”