Beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckharasser150

Beds

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:46 pm

Was going to observation stand and was in area that doesn’t really matter to me (does and occasional buck) but stumbled onto some beds. But they really confused me wether they were buck beds or doe beds. 0 rubs. But bedding like bucks would, but at same time it was a little cove and I guess you could say it was circular fashion because of that. I will attach picture. Do you think that it’s one maybe two bucks with a bunch of beds for different winds or doe/buck or just doe? When sitting in bed there was thick cover to back (like a buck bed) and open area in front, and could hear anything within 50-80 yards of cove. Overlooked spot for early season. Could say wow factor area. But I bet it gets mid October and don’t know if still bed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Beds

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:31 am

You are definitely on the right track w your thinking.

I really like finding a large, solo bed in tall grass. I think they like that in the summer and early season bc their antlers are delicate. You wont find much sign around right now but soon that timber edge should start showing rubs or sign. I look for 30-"40"+ wide bed and I will say that I would prefer much taller grass for good buck bedding. It is hard to tell by your picture the actual size.

If im not sure its a buck then I search the surrounding tall grass for fawn beds or walk the timber and try to locate tracks. If im still not then maybe ill run a cam but I would only plan to hunt that early season (as you said about oct). They can still bed in tall grassy spots throughout the season and one of the best places for mature bucks in on thick, tall CRP fields. Especially in cold weather bc it stops the wind and allows heat from the sun. Also excellent security.

The circular bed probably means the deer shits its body around. For multiple beds they will be close by to each other but not close enough to make one circle.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:15 am

Bed was really good size. But yeah I did see some fawn beds in that “cove”. But some beds were right next to shrubs/small dogwood and no rubs. Thanks man for your answer!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:24 am

Sorry about the spelling errors!

Solo Does can bed just like bucks

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”