Confusion

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckharasser150

Confusion

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:40 pm

I have a couple islands just off mainland point with doe bedding area marked in red. For any deer to bed on those islands, they would literally have to swim. I remember when Ice froze over I walked on island just north of the mainland point and found giant tracks and a couple rubs that I should have taken note of. I know deer would not bed there when water frozen because of amount of predator access. I would assume there would be buck bedding. Looking for people to help me decipher where they would bed, when (early season, pre-rut, rut), on what wind? The first island is about 75-100 yards off mainland point. Would be almost impossible to hunt anything on that island with bow. Almost. I would go in there during youth season with rifle, mid october. Pre-rut, correct? would bucks be bedding there DOWNWIND of doe bedding "monitering" does with wind?? If that is case and I set up with rifle off mainland point (which is more elevated than the slough) my wind would be basically blowing right into island. Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
KRONIIK
500 Club

Re: Confusion

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:42 am

Bucks might bed on those islands for the security factor, but probably not to monitor that particular doe bedding for hot prospects.
Unless I'm mistaken the prevailing winds seldom blow from the Southeast in central MN. (?)

And I don't think it's close enough to the doe bedding for evening thermals to help them much in that regard, (figuring in something of a "pooling factor" for elevation differences.)
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:26 am

KRONIIK wrote:Bucks might bed on those islands for the security factor, but probably not to monitor that particular doe bedding for hot prospects.
Unless I'm mistaken the prevailing winds seldom blow from the Southeast in central MN. (?)

And I don't think it's close enough to the doe bedding for evening thermals to help them much in that regard, (figuring in something of a "pooling factor" for elevation differences.)

Ah ok, so they are bedding on downwind side of island. Great to know! Thanks. Also, here in MN water gets cold come late October. Would deer still swim to get over to island?
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:54 am

Ok I misunderstood which islands you were talking about; I thought they were the two bigger, timbered ones to the Northwest including the one at the Northwest corner of your picture.

I just now figured out that the one almost directly North of the mainland with only a couple trees is the one you found the most buck sign on.
Is that correct?
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:28 pm

KRONIIK wrote:Ok I misunderstood which islands you were talking about; I thought they were the two bigger, timbered ones to the Northwest including the one at the Northwest corner of your picture.

I just now figured out that the one almost directly North of the mainland with only a couple trees is the one you found the most buck sign on.
Is that correct?

It was both islands, the one directly north is sort of linked to the one west of it. By grass. Here in MN it gets cold late October. Will bucks still cross water to get to that island? Will they use that Island during pre - rut or rut?
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:58 pm

I've seen pressured bucks swim across the entire width of the Lower Wisconsin River with ice floes drifting past them.
So if a buck thinks those islands have the best security around he won't hesitate to swim a bit to get to it.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Swim, most certainly. Just seen an amazing video of a "nice" buck swimming in Superior, from Macinaw to a nearby(supposedly 3 miles) other island. That water is cold.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”