ONX elevation question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

ONX elevation question

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:46 pm

Anybody ever use this elevation feature of ONX? Is this gonna be to steep to hike up?

KRONIIK
500 Club

Re: ONX elevation question

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:31 pm

That calculates to a 27% grade or 27 feet up for every 100 feet horizontal distance.

Set a twelve inch ruler on your desk and raise one end to 2.7 inches above the table at the ten inch mark to give you a visual idea of the grade.
Certainly walkable.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:41 pm

Switch to topo mode on your map and it’s pretty obvious where the steep climbs will be. Doesn’t get any easier than that visual.

I also like Lidar. Wish they would add that hill shading feature to Onx.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:49 pm

KRONIIK wrote:That calculates to a 27% grade or 27 feet up for every 100 feet horizontal distance.

Set a twelve inch ruler on your desk and raise one end to 2.7 inches above the table at the ten inch mark to give you a visual idea of the grade.
Certainly walkable.

Thanks, I was figuring rise over run, but I forgot I was calculating yards instead of feet, I was coming up with 81% grade!!!, I thought that didnt match the topo lines!!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:48 pm

No problem on your slope. If it’s not rock cliffs you can probably walk it. I just checked one of my spots almost 500 ft elevation in a little over 200 yds. It can be done and it’s nothing to a deer
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:36 pm

Pudster wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:That calculates to a 27% grade or 27 feet up for every 100 feet horizontal distance.

Certainly walkable.

Thanks, I was figuring rise over run, but I forgot I was calculating yards instead of feet, I was coming up with 81% grade!!!, I thought that didnt match the topo lines!!

I almost did the same thing when I went to figure it.
That would be pretty steep but some of the hills here in Sauk County are worse than even that.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:49 am

Ha, I have seen some of those steep hills there. The weirdest thing I ran into in that county was a couple of woods or areas of woods that were so darn rocky that it made walking thru them very difficult, next to impossible. I was going thru them in the spring at it was "not fun," I cant imagine going thru them when the underbrush is green and lush.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:18 am

Pudster wrote:Ha, I have seen some of those steep hills there. The weirdest thing I ran into in that county was a couple of woods or areas of woods that were so darn rocky that it made walking thru them very difficult, next to impossible. I was going thru them in the spring at it was "not fun," I cant imagine going thru them when the underbrush is green and lush.

I hear you.

There are granite boulder fields throughout the Baraboo Range that are worse than anything I ever encountered in Montana, Idaho, Colorado, California or Wyoming.
Loose blocks about the size of microwave oven, tippy and rocking with every step.
Leg-breakers, big-time.

And absolutely TERRIBLE in the winter when wet and icy.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:44 pm

If I'm not sure it's doable on OnX, I double check on CalTopo. Has helped me a lot in the TN mountains.

Purple is a cliff/bluff face, red could get dicey:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”