Finding other hunters stands.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Finding other hunters stands.

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:55 am

Was back at it after Turkey season ended, was pouring rain today and I was trucking through waist high vegatation in the swamp like a madman, when I found another hunters set up, a simple hang on with 3 sticks, in what seemed to be a decient spot, but id say about 200 metres from the bedding area, thats 220 yards in American. :lol:

I always mark other hunter stands on my GPS, its against the bylaws to leave stands up, you're allowed to hang and hunt.

this is my first year really getting after it and Im wondering what do you guys do about other hunter sign, Ive yet to find sign of anyone where I plan on actually going but they are on the perimiter of the swamp.

Part of me wants to cut down the sticks but I just cant do that to another hunter, plus I think theres value in knowing where others are.

After I plug my GPS into basecamp im going to try to figure out how to screenshot the maps to post.

Highlight was bumping a nice buck was able to slip to within 50 yards as it was raining hard. Also the bugs were insane even with the heavy rain, i had a mesh upper body bug net that was a life saver.

"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Finding other hunters stands.

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:25 am

Meters? :think: :lol:

I am of the same mindset as you. I don’t like em, but I want to use them to my advantage. There are probably different creative ways to do it, just use your imagination. Maybe give that stand a certain pattern of human scent and create a pinch point out of ground scent?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:37 am

I pay attention to how fresh the stand is. New straps, chains, cables, etc. If it appears to be within the last few seasons I mark it on the map just as you do to mark hunting pressure.

If the sign is good enough I may try to hunt it early season before they get back I'm there. Most people around my parts are gun hunters.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:00 am

I see lots of stands hanging in my parts. More often than not I cannot think of one logical reason why someone would hang a stand there other than it might look like a good spot for a family to picnic. Now when I spot one of those old rotted wood stands from many moons ago I always slow down and pay attention!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:47 am

I always take a branch and put it on the bottom rung or step in a manner in which it would need to be removed to climb up. You would be surprised how many still have the branch a year or more later when I come through. If the deer are there.....
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:09 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I see lots of stands hanging in my parts. More often than not I cannot think of one logical reason why someone would hang a stand there other than it might look like a good spot for a family to picnic. Now when I spot one of those old rotted wood stands from many moons ago I always slow down and pay attention!

Funny you say that because there was an old rotted platform about 20 yards away from this stand. My thought is deer will travel in that direction as teh wind would generally be in their favour and there is agriculture about 300 yards past the stand.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:11 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:I always take a branch and put it on the bottom rung or step in a manner in which it would need to be removed to climb up. You would be surprised how many still have the branch a year or more later when I come through. If the deer are there.....

That is a really good idea. Im going to do that. The stand had been there at least 3 seasons I would say maybe longer, the straps holding the sticks in place were discolored.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:48 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I see lots of stands hanging in my parts. More often than not I cannot think of one logical reason why someone would hang a stand there other than it might look like a good spot for a family to picnic. Now when I spot one of those old rotted wood stands from many moons ago I always slow down and pay attention!

Oh yeah! Only if they used roofing nails and Use used lumber...that equals 60-70s deer wizards when woodmanship was alive

If I find a stand in a decent spot I put bunch of brush at the base and keep tabs on it...like stated if it’s over hunted I’ll use it to my advantage...if it’s under hunted I’ll set up near by...public access is public access
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:09 am

I mark it and try figure what that person was thinking. Sometimes it occurs to me why they did what they did. Sometimes walk off scratching my head. Then, just go on about my business.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:21 pm

Ditto to what a few have said. I do the stick and also mark them in OnX.

A few years back I contacted OnX about the ability to make a concentric circle feature where I could create a desired radius around pins. Not sure if it has been made yet, but you could draw measured lines. May be a method to find corridors where a deer can skirt around or get from bed to feed while avoiding permanent stands.

If nothing else, it is comical sometimes to see the pins on a map and the proximity to access. Now start marking the areas you need to hit.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:30 pm

Same here with the old stands. The rifle buck I shot last season had an old stand nearby and I just scouted a bedding area , was finding plenty of buck beds and found an old steel rusted out bucket on top of the knob just feet from the bed. Picturing some old fella from times past a mile out in the woods hunting on his bucket in the same spot.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:55 pm

I most times ignore the stands I locate. As for the stands I see left on lands that are supposed to be pulled, I don't like, but also doesn't bother me enough to report, and I sure wont mess with anyone else's set.

I am like Boogie, its interesting to see the old timer home made stands placed in what we think are strategic locations now. I think the best one I ever found was constructed of sawed sapling limbs, and tied to the trees with twine. The platform was constructed of the same sized sapling and was really neat! Naturally it was rotten and missing a bunch of pieces, but was easily 25-30 foot and in a super tight rut funnel. As far back as I was, I can see why used a tree saw and twine!! :lol: :lol:

I can say I only dragged one buck from that funnel... I was young and it wore my brother and I out!!
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:00 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:I always take a branch and put it on the bottom rung or step in a manner in which it would need to be removed to climb up. You would be surprised how many still have the branch a year or more later when I come through. If the deer are there.....

Thats genius.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:04 am

Depends on the sign in the immediate area if I would hunt around there. I’ve seen one stand hung ruin an area and others not. I think in depends on their access and when they hunt it
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:42 pm

I always try to be respectful if someone else is hunting the same area IF the stand is being used. I really like the branch on a step method.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”