Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
User avatar
DaveT1963
500 Club
Posts: 4897
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:27 am
Location: South
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:21 pm

Another good video, I really like the last two as they cover what your looking for in more depth. Looks very relatable to many river systems across the country. Nice job guys.
User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 7157
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: MidMichigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:34 pm

Good video guys, Dan analyzing the cover and ecology of the area is great,
sojourner
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:14 am
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby sojourner » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Great video. I hunt an area like this.

Question, any reason no one is talking about taking a step ladder back there, brushing it in and sitting on that? Especially where it is “brushy” and the brush is not big enough to support a stand?
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 8092
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:20 pm

That was a good one. I scout a bunch of that and have scratched my head at times. One of the things I was often curious about was the thickness of some of the tag alder areas, thinking they were like doe mazes because they were so tight. Nice to know I was on the right track so to speak.
Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 38583
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:22 pm

sojourner wrote:Great video. I hunt an area like this.

Question, any reason no one is talking about taking a step ladder back there, brushing it in and sitting on that? Especially where it is “brushy” and the brush is not big enough to support a stand?
Actually it was discussed at one point but was not put in the video... it would be a good idea except to be legal it would have to be taken in and out every day, and we were 3.5 miles from the truck
PA60
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:40 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby PA60 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:52 pm

Dan, another good video. Question about your stand location in that small tree within bedding, what time of day would you access that stand? I’m guessIng under cover of dark since the deer should be out feeding? Thanks.
“From the point of ignition, to the final drive, the point of the journey is not to arrive.”
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 38583
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:55 pm

PA60 wrote:Dan, another good video. Question about your stand location in that small tree within bedding, what time of day would you access that stand? I’m guessIng under cover of dark since the deer should be out feeding? Thanks.

im not sure which spot your reffering to, however I was looking at all the bedding area spots as evening and tje travel coridor from the begging as morning or evening... its really about access, there were decent ways to sneak in, just not showing a lot cause every time I do people recognize the area and move in on the spots
sojourner
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:14 am
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby sojourner » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:16 am

dan wrote:
sojourner wrote:Great video. I hunt an area like this.

Question, any reason no one is talking about taking a step ladder back there, brushing it in and sitting on that? Especially where it is “brushy” and the brush is not big enough to support a stand?
Actually it was discussed at one point but was not put in the video... it would be a good idea except to be legal it would have to be taken in and out every day, and we were 3.5 miles from the truck


Thanks Dan. The area I have access to (similar to video) I had a close encounter with a buck with a step ladder. I see tons of sign in areas like this. It seems to me that the deer feel safer there with limited ability for stands. I was able to legally leave my step ladder there, but it got stolen. I am going to have to pick up another ladder just for that area gain. Thankfully it is less than a mile in.

Again, thanks.
PA60
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:40 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby PA60 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:03 am

dan wrote:
PA60 wrote:Dan, another good video. Question about your stand location in that small tree within bedding, what time of day would you access that stand? I’m guessIng under cover of dark since the deer should be out feeding? Thanks.

im not sure which spot your reffering to, however I was looking at all the bedding area spots as evening and tje travel coridor from the begging as morning or evening... its really about access, there were decent ways to sneak in, just not showing a lot cause every time I do people recognize the area and move in on the spots



Ok thanks. It was at the point of the video where you found the old tree stand. I have an area similar to that type of cover, I will have to really look at access. Maybe set up in safe view the exit routes and do a few observation sits.
“From the point of ignition, to the final drive, the point of the journey is not to arrive.”
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 38583
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:13 am

sojourner wrote:
dan wrote:
sojourner wrote:Great video. I hunt an area like this.

Question, any reason no one is talking about taking a step ladder back there, brushing it in and sitting on that? Especially where it is “brushy” and the brush is not big enough to support a stand?
Actually it was discussed at one point but was not put in the video... it would be a good idea except to be legal it would have to be taken in and out every day, and we were 3.5 miles from the truck


Thanks Dan. The area I have access to (similar to video) I had a close encounter with a buck with a step ladder. I see tons of sign in areas like this. It seems to me that the deer feel safer there with limited ability for stands. I was able to legally leave my step ladder there, but it got stolen. I am going to have to pick up another ladder just for that area gain. Thankfully it is less than a mile in.

Again, thanks.

A couple of years ago I broke my ladder and wanted a new one so I went to a fleä market specifically looking for ladders. I found one for$15. as im carrying it to my truck a guy shouts out he has a couple for $10.. so I bought them, and as me and Carol are carrying them to the truck we hear some shouting and look back and there are about 4 or 5 guys with ladder I. there hands shouting to us... I nearly had to run out of there... lol... you ever need a hunting ladder, go to a flea market
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 38583
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:18 am

PA60 wrote:
dan wrote:
PA60 wrote:Dan, another good video. Question about your stand location in that small tree within bedding, what time of day would you access that stand? I’m guessIng under cover of dark since the deer should be out feeding? Thanks.

im not sure which spot your reffering to, however I was looking at all the bedding area spots as evening and tje travel coridor from the begging as morning or evening... its really about access, there were decent ways to sneak in, just not showing a lot cause every time I do people recognize the area and move in on the spots



Ok thanks. It was at the point of the video where you found the old tree stand. I have an area similar to that type of cover, I will have to really look at access. Maybe set up in safe view the exit routes and do a few observation sits.

behind the tree I set up in was an area I did not expect deer travel, and could access from and the stand tree is at the furthest point of deer travel. bedding was about 100 yards at 90 degrees from my entrance and 90 degrees the other way with travel back and forth in front of the stand... probably going to visit tjat stand with Dave T this weekend to film stand vs saddle set ups, so if you want me to pont anything out let me know...
User avatar
Tim H
500 Club
Posts: 2397
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:37 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nomadicbeastwi
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:24 am

I'm looking forward to this one. One of the areas I have been learning is like this. Each time I go in there I find a lot of tracks and trails that are beat down. Not a lot of buck sign though.
PA60
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:40 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby PA60 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:26 am

dan wrote:
PA60 wrote:
dan wrote:
PA60 wrote:Dan, another good video. Question about your stand location in that small tree within bedding, what time of day would you access that stand? I’m guessIng under cover of dark since the deer should be out feeding? Thanks.

im not sure which spot your reffering to, however I was looking at all the bedding area spots as evening and tje travel coridor from the begging as morning or evening... its really about access, there were decent ways to sneak in, just not showing a lot cause every time I do people recognize the area and move in on the spots



Ok thanks. It was at the point of the video where you found the old tree stand. I have an area similar to that type of cover, I will have to really look at access. Maybe set up in safe view the exit routes and do a few observation sits.

behind the tree I set up in was an area I did not expect deer travel, and could access from and the stand tree is at the furthest point of deer travel. bedding was about 100 yards at 90 degrees from my entrance and 90 degrees the other way with travel back and forth in front of the stand... probably going to visit tjat stand with Dave T this weekend to film stand vs saddle set ups, so if you want me to pont anything out let me know...


In my situation, the tree similar to yours with the stand would be directly over bedding with entry and exit routes coming and going almost like a wagon wheel set up, so it would be very risky at best for me to get in there without getting blown. I will likely focus on exit trails near the bedding. I always find your maps showing access and stand location very helpful. If you can do that in your next video without giving away your spot that would help, thanks!
“From the point of ignition, to the final drive, the point of the journey is not to arrive.”
Elite
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:28 am
Status: Offline

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby Elite » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:49 am

Are you sure the hair you were finding was from deer and not Dan’s but crack?

Great video!! It seemed you needed to investigate that area more compared to previous videos. Job well done :clap:


  • Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests