Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:58 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Awesome.

Looks similar to an area I recently scouted.

Screenshot_20210414-152728_onX Hunt.jpg

Yep 8-)

1386.jpg

You need to stop following me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I followed you and found something you missed. :lol:

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:10 pm

:lol: :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:28 pm

:lol:

It’s amazing about some of the commonalities in terrain and landscape even though all of our spots are probably not within 40 miles of each other.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ramp

Unread postby Ramp » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:42 pm

Dan say “ NO TO CRACK “
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:14 am

sojourner wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:
sojourner wrote:Great video. I hunt an area like this.

Question, any reason no one is talking about taking a step ladder back there, brushing it in and sitting on that? Especially where it is “brushy” and the brush is not big enough to support a stand?

Why not just make a bunch of makeshift ground blinds in the summer then sit in them with a ghillie in the fall, way easier?

Ive been hunting spots without trees in this way since the early 90s and find it far more lethal than hunting out of treestands in more easily accessible spots as deer move pretty much all day in spots without trees ive found. In fact, most of the time I don't even have a ground blind set up and just find cover to sit in with my ghillie. I think a ladder would actually be more of a hindrance than helpful unless youre like doing drives or something?

Hunt where the deer are killable even if that means you gotta hunt on the ground.

I have a ghillie and wear it sometimes. When I had my close encounter, no ghillie, just cabelas camo.

The area I hunt that has this environment has rules that shots must be taken from an elevated position. Also, using the step ladder, the height I get is advantageous for me to see further along the trails. There is also brushy area that I would never be able to get a step ladder in.

I’ve hunted in ground blinds, but they are just not something I like to use.

I definitely like the idea of sitting on the ground in a ghillie. That would have to be on a different property.

Must be urban hunting then? Guess that would definitely negate hunting from the ground then so looks like a ladder would be about your only option in that case.

Some of those urban spots have stud bucks and some have nothing but too many hunters, hope yours has the stud bucks.

Good hunting
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:58 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:
sojourner wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:
sojourner wrote:Great video. I hunt an area like this.

Question, any reason no one is talking about taking a step ladder back there, brushing it in and sitting on that? Especially where it is “brushy” and the brush is not big enough to support a stand?

Why not just make a bunch of makeshift ground blinds in the summer then sit in them with a ghillie in the fall, way easier?

Ive been hunting spots without trees in this way since the early 90s and find it far more lethal than hunting out of treestands in more easily accessible spots as deer move pretty much all day in spots without trees ive found. In fact, most of the time I don't even have a ground blind set up and just find cover to sit in with my ghillie. I think a ladder would actually be more of a hindrance than helpful unless youre like doing drives or something?

Hunt where the deer are killable even if that means you gotta hunt on the ground.

I have a ghillie and wear it sometimes. When I had my close encounter, no ghillie, just cabelas camo.

The area I hunt that has this environment has rules that shots must be taken from an elevated position. Also, using the step ladder, the height I get is advantageous for me to see further along the trails. There is also brushy area that I would never be able to get a step ladder in.

I’ve hunted in ground blinds, but they are just not something I like to use.

I definitely like the idea of sitting on the ground in a ghillie. That would have to be on a different property.

Must be urban hunting then? Guess that would definitely negate hunting from the ground then so looks like a ladder would be about your only option in that case.

Some of those urban spots have stud bucks and some have nothing but too many hunters, hope yours has the stud bucks.

Good hunting

It is part of a culling operation run by the local govt. it is urban area, but a couple patches that are at least 150 acres each. With govt making the rules, we have plenty of rules to follow (shooting from elevated platform one of them). The land is mostly what could not be developed, i.e. swamp. Fair amount of hunters, but not too much. Most don’t hunt mobile and just set out a feeder and ladder stand.

Some nice bucks are taken here.

My best wishes for a good season for you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”