King of Overlooked Spots ... Flopped

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DeadHeadSpread

King of Overlooked Spots ... Flopped

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:45 pm

Thought I identified the king of overlooked spots when planning places to scout. I was right about one thing, no people ever go there. Scouted the whole area and jumped 2 big groups of deer. But...I found only a few small buck rubs, no big historic rubs, no sheds, like 2 small scrapes, identified 0 beds, picked up like 200 ticks in the process, and burnt like 3000 calories crawling out of there saying no way should I waste my time hunting this.

Maybe the 100,000 tractor trailers whizzing nearby at 75 mph every day keeps the big buck population down? Can anyone relate?
Last edited by DeadHeadSpread on Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tracks Matter
Ghost Hunter

Re: King of Overlooked Spots ... Flopped

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:47 pm

Yes, I can, but from different angle. Sounds like you might be closer than you think you are too.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:55 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:Yes, I can, but from different angle. Sounds like you might be closer than you think you are too.

I’d like to hear more of what you know on this!
Big Tracks Matter
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:19 pm

Sounds like you need to spray down with permethrin.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:30 pm

I would run a few cams before giving up on it. Especially during the rut.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:18 pm

If you thought it was nasty and didn't like it, there's probably a ton of other hunters saying the same thing. If you saw deer there, I would keep on this spot.. At least throw up some trailcams....
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:44 pm

I can relate. Maybe it doesn’t have the escape routes for bucks to get old. Heavy gun hunting pressure without the right habitat can keep the bucks young
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:11 am

DeadHeadSpread wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:Yes, I can, but from different angle. Sounds like you might be closer than you think you are too.

I’d like to hear more of what you know on this!

Lot of times when I find sign similar to what you find. I'm couple hundred yards or less off a hot spot. You bet they are running along that highway checking trails. That is probably a good spot during rut. But, going have to find where woods transition. Probably would not hurt to check trails that cross highway and do walk back to locate better sign.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:34 am

DeadHeadSpread wrote:Thought I identified the king of overlooked spots when planning places to scout. I was right about one thing, no people ever go there. Scouted the whole area and jumped 2 big groups of deer. But...I found only a few small buck rubs, no big historic rubs, no sheds, like 2 small scrapes, identified 0 beds, picked up like 200 ticks in the process, and burnt like 3000 calories crawling out of there saying no way should I waste my time hunting this.

Maybe the 100,000 tractor trailers whizzing nearby at 75 mph every day keeps the big buck population down? Can anyone relate?

Are you talking about an area of woods in the middle of an interstate by chance?
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:28 pm

HunterBob wrote:
DeadHeadSpread wrote:Thought I identified the king of overlooked spots when planning places to scout. I was right about one thing, no people ever go there. Scouted the whole area and jumped 2 big groups of deer. But...I found only a few small buck rubs, no big historic rubs, no sheds, like 2 small scrapes, identified 0 beds, picked up like 200 ticks in the process, and burnt like 3000 calories crawling out of there saying no way should I waste my time hunting this.

Are you talking about an area of woods in the middle of an interstate by chance?

Bingo. It’s a deep wide ravine between the lanes that goes several miles long and is very hard to get in to. A lot of thick and nasty stuff with some open oak stands and some pines.
Big Tracks Matter
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:34 pm

Well good luck trying it out, the noise from traffic might be a deterrent to big bucks since they aren't able to hear as well as they would like.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:57 pm

That changes a lot of things with me. Wish you luck keep us posted.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:58 am

Most turn out to be duds... Gotta keep looking.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:32 am

dan wrote:Most turn out to be duds... Gotta keep looking.

I had dud yesterday. Decided to whoa up and not dive in immediately to try stuff by the road in attempt to find overlooked. Found a mock scrape.

Dud.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:58 pm

DeadHeadSpread wrote:
HunterBob wrote:

Bingo. It’s a deep wide ravine between the lanes that goes several miles long and is very hard to get in to. A lot of thick and nasty stuff with some open oak stands and some pines.

Better check the rules. It is illegal to hunt highway property in some places. I know of a spot that holds a good buck in between the expressway but can't hunt it because it is highway property. Late season this spot is loaded with deer from pressure pushing them in. Would hate to cause a accident also from shooting one or pushing them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”