Stumped

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitley09

Stumped

Unread postby Whitley09 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:22 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the hunting beast so be gentle!

I have been a bowhunter for 16 years but only a serious one for the last 2 since I stumbled on the hunting public and Dan. My son make a 2 hour drive twice a day so I get a ton of studying in with all of the great pod cast out now.
I have spent the last year learning multiple public land spots and this past year was the most bucks I have ever seen in one season, but I know I still have a ton to figure out. I have found a large amount of doe beds and some beds that I have suspect may be bucks but no real confirmation.

I have seen most the bucks working the tips of the fingers dropping down and coming back up the draws. Close to the road is mostly safety zones, but I have seen a ton of sign in those areas.

I did just happen to catch Dan's latest video and realized I may be stumbling onto beds all the time but they just are used as hard as some of the doe beds.

I attached a pic of one of my favorite spots I have been trying to figure out, all the fields are on the top with fingers dropping down to a walking path and into the creek. Most of the hunters access from above, but they tend to stay to the west where the access is easier. I blocked out some of the identifiers incase anyone else hunts this area, I don't want to screw it up for them.

I try to talk to a few of my buddy's but they have different approach, the sit and wait in funnels approach which I have found only make November exciting for me, I didn't know why before but I do now.

So my question is, when you look at the piece, what draws your attention? Where would you start? Trust me I feel like I have played Dan over and over again, but I feel like I have to be over looking something. I am going to start glassing this summer something I never did before, but I was listening to an old pod cast with Joe on Wired to Hunt this morning sounds like something I'm not doing to get me a leg up.

Thanks guys for any input you have, always appreciated. (hopefully the pic shows up ok)

POST_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Stumped

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:31 am

I don’t have any specific spots to recommend. But I would be looking for overlooked steeper areas where a good buck would bed. Within the steeper areas I am looking for bedding points usually upper 1/3 military crest with cover. Within that I would look for an area with multiple bedding points with some diversity and edge and the spot I pick to hunt must have multiple reasons for me to hunt it. I don’t do any glassing but do monitor with trail cams. That’s my thought process...hope it helps.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Whitley09

Unread postby Whitley09 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:18 am

Great advice, I actually have avoided the steeper portions thinking they just wouldn’t be able to bed there but I will focus some more attention in those areas, a few spots come to mind right away.

Thanks for the advice!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:58 am

That’s one thing I like about the steeper areas. They need a little flat spot to lay down and it can really narrow down potential bedding. And deer use those steeper areas to bed for multiple reasons. The steeper the better from my experience.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”