How long to get proficient at scouting?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Re: How long to get proficient at scouting?

Unread postby Moose » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:10 am

Lockdown wrote:Don’t hesitate to be aggressive. I will place trail cams VERY invasively sometimes. If I’m confused by a spot I will sacrifice hunts there for a season and put a cam in there to see what’s up. Just make sure to mount them high or there’s a good chance they’ll avoid it.

Another thing you can do is bust bedding in season. There again you might be burning it. Like Seaz said in our last podcast, it’s an investment. You’re sacrificing success this year but that knowledge will benefit you forever.

Trail cameras are the one thing I really haven't done. I really need to buy some and try them out. Seems like more people use them then not. How high should I set them?

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:16 am

Moose wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Don’t hesitate to be aggressive. I will place trail cams VERY invasively sometimes. If I’m confused by a spot I will sacrifice hunts there for a season and put a cam in there to see what’s up. Just make sure to mount them high or there’s a good chance they’ll avoid it.

Another thing you can do is bust bedding in season. There again you might be burning it. Like Seaz said in our last podcast, it’s an investment. You’re sacrificing success this year but that knowledge will benefit you forever.

Trail cameras are the one thing I really haven't done. I really need to buy some and try them out. Seems like more people use them then not. How high should I set them?

There’s no doubt they will speed up your learning curve. I like mine set 8’ or hair more. Depends on the situation.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:24 am

Lockdown wrote:
Moose wrote:

There’s no doubt they will speed up your learning curve. I like mine set 8’ or hair more. Depends on the situation.

I will have to get some. Thanks for the advice!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”