Best scouting day ever for me.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Best scouting day ever for me.

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:20 pm

I'm determined this year to get into a swamp on public that I hunt. Today I really put some boots to the ground and found a bunch of doe bedding and about a half dozen buck beds....

Then I found a tree that was so rubbed up I thought it must be diseased..... I've attached pictures.... it was as if a monster has shredded it.... I had found several regular rubs and was following footprints when I came upon this tree... then I followed the prints and found another regular rub then a bed.... then I seen this and stopped dead in my tracks as it was obviously a full rack from an dead animal.... I carefully excavated the beast and found this.... I was super pumped that my suspicion that the swamp held giants was true ...

I'm so excited to get back out and learn more and find more racks hopefully shed.... I did an unofficial score and it was 158" gross...... for basically an 8 point.... its HUGE for my area...

Great full to finally stop being a lazy bait pile hunter and try hard to put in the work to get in the vicinity of some nice bucks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Re: Best scouting day ever for me.

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:29 pm

Pretty cool find! Good luck for next season!
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:30 pm

Nice work. Did you plan how/when/why/where to set up and hunt the area yet? I found a decent spot or two on public last year but my biggest mistake was not thinking through my set ups ahead of time and picking the kill trees. But thats the growing pains you go through I guess, especially if its your first year of beast style hunting.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:35 pm

Great buck for any area! Congrats on the find.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:41 pm

Always bittersweet finding a dead buck. Sheds are nice for knowing they’re likely still alive. Good thing is you found a good spot a mature buck feels safe. Won’t take long and others will take over.
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:44 pm

Hookslinger wrote:Nice work. Did you plan how/when/why/where to set up and hunt the area yet? I found a decent spot or two on public last year but my biggest mistake was not thinking through my set ups ahead of time and picking the kill trees. But thats the growing pains you go through I guess, especially if its your first year of beast style hunting.

That's what's next for me. The spot is a swamp and it frozen over so I don't think the beds I found will actually be beds come October. I found some good trees off the various paths that I marked... I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to enter and exit yet. It was my first day actually going into the swamp
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:47 pm

Sounds like your on the right path. Good luck with that spot. Now all ya need to do is find a hundred more spots just like it ;)
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:47 pm

Dewey wrote:Always bittersweet finding a dead buck. Sheds are nice knowing for they’re likely still alive. Good thing is you found a good spot a mature buck feels safe. Won’t take long and others will take over.

Yeah he was actually between two bick beds that were about 30 yards apart.... I think he got shot and ran to his bed to die.... I can't imagine shooting and not finding this guy. There was alot of fresh beds with hair in them next to stumps and Fallen trees etc so I'm 99% sure they were buck beds and there was rubs like 5 yards away etc... so I'm excited.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:25 pm

You did have a good day!

I'm going to go down in about a month and do some looking.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:57 pm

That's awesome. must be an overlooked area for a head like that tobbe laying that long.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:40 pm

Way to go man!!! Congrats on the find!!!
I think your on to something there,,, dead buck confirms it.
Now it's time to gameplan
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:33 pm

:clap:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:23 am

Nice work, it's really fun to see a hunch turn into an opportunity.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”