Aerial imagery trail identification

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Entity03xx

Aerial imagery trail identification

Unread postby Entity03xx » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:34 am

Hey all. FNG here,. I read a thread on here about using Google to get a different view vs OnX. Its much clearer and detailed I feel, as well as the images takes in a different time of year. Swamp scouting the hardwoods really stood out. Excellent post. My question here is, when looking at swampy areas, how can you tell the difference between where there might be water drainage and a legit deer trail. I have two that seem like they can only be deer trails. Just wanted some thoughts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tspan

Re: Aerial imagery trail identification

Unread postby Tspan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:08 am

Good question. Sometimes the trails and water runoffs look similar on aerial photos. I have gotten my hopes up a few times only to find that it is just drainage when I get boots on the ground. That being said, a lot of the deer trails are filled with water. The first picture is definitely a deer trail from woods to woods. Trails and bedding areas tend to show that spiderweb or wagon wheel look to them and trails will sometimes lead to a specific tree, bed or food source. Aerial maps are good starting points. I missed a shot on opening day of a good marsh buck I found just by looking at Google maps. It was bedded right where I thought he would be and walked right down the trail. I just sailed it over his back. At least I know where he is and I will be back.
Entity03xx

Unread postby Entity03xx » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:41 am

Tspan wrote:Good question. Sometimes the trails and water runoffs look similar on aerial photos. I have gotten my hopes up a few times only to find that it is just drainage when I get boots on the ground. That being said, a lot of the deer trails are filled with water. The first picture is definitely a deer trail from woods to woods. Trails and bedding areas tend to show that spiderweb or wagon wheel look to them and trails will sometimes lead to a specific tree, bed or food source. Aerial maps are good starting points. I missed a shot on opening day of a good marsh buck I found just by looking at Google maps. It was bedded right where I thought he would be and walked right down the trail. I just sailed it over his back. At least I know where he is and I will be back.

I didnt think of that their trails would also be filled up with water,, good advice there!! I can see alot of obvious water drainage in the area, I thought these two looked out of place because they are so directional, and stand out compared to the other lines in the cattails. The bottom one though im not sure because where would they be going to on it? It comes from a point of hardwoods straight into the swamp. Or, from the swamp to the point, but theres nothing out in the swamp where it looks like the trail starts.....or stops.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:56 am

It becomes very obvious once you get a feel for it. Water drains to lower ground. Deer trails connect high ground.

Also keep in mind, Water run off can be used as game trails during dry periods of the year...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Entity03xx

Unread postby Entity03xx » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:11 am

PK_ wrote:It becomes very obvious once you get a feel for it. Water drains to lower ground. Deer trails connect high ground.

Also keep in mind, Water run off can be used as game trails during dry periods of the year...

Yup thats another reason I thought these are trails. They seem to go from low ground to high. Except maybe the bottom one, but still its the only trail looking thing around it? There was some debate with some guys I hunt with as to if these were trails or not. I say they are.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”