Extremely Detailed Topo Maps - 5ft DEM

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

benallgood

Extremely Detailed Topo Maps - 5ft DEM

Unread postby benallgood » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:21 am

I saw some posts relating to LIDAR maps, but if anyone is interested in getting extremely detailed topo maps to find terrain features that don't show up on regular topo maps, google 5ft DEM for your state if you can't find them when searching LIDAR for your state. A lot of the state sites have them freely available. You have to play around with them some, but you can even overlay aerials on top if needed. Here's one I found for an area I hunt.
5ftDEMwithAerial.JPG

5ftDEMwithAerial.JPG

benallgood

Re: Extremely Detailed Topo Maps - 5ft DEM

Unread postby benallgood » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:21 am

What would you consider to be possible bedding (doe or buck) based on those maps?
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:26 pm

An aerial map overlay would be helpful, but based purely on topography. I'd check the blue areas for buck beds, yellow for doe bedding and I'd focus on the red lines for rut stands.

20200618_232359.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
benallgood

Unread postby benallgood » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:21 am

seazofcheeze wrote:An aerial map overlay would be helpful, but based purely on topography. I'd check the blue areas for buck beds, yellow for doe bedding and I'd focus on the red lines for rut stands.

20200618_232359.jpg

Thanks. The green shaded ones had the aerial overlays. I wasn't as concerned about what was on top of the terrain because this is private land that I can change the habitat on to promote different types of bedding. I appreciate you looking at it.

You can make out roads on the maps. That parkway/interstate on the north had good bedding right against it as well as a travel corridor.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:39 am

Thank you for this!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”