Swamps

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntseverything22

Swamps

Unread postby Huntseverything22 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:24 pm

Being new to southern Michigan I am not accustomed to hunting swamps. I have read forums and watched several Hunting Beast YouTube videos regarding hunting swamp land. I have not found how to tell if the swamp is 10 foot deep or 2 foot deep. I know getting boots on the ground would tell me these things but is there certain plants you looks for? Certain places to step to keep yourself out of neck deep water? I have found several swamp islands that I want to scout in the next few days with what looks like heavily used deer trails from google earth aerials. Trails look to be coming off timberland ridges going through cattails then to swamp islands. Is deer trails another indicator of knee deep or less water? Not scared to take a swim or fill my boots full of water/mud but wouldn’t mind some advice on what to look for either.

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Swamps

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Huntseverything22 wrote:Being new to southern Michigan I am not accustomed to hunting swamps. I have read forums and watched several Hunting Beast YouTube videos regarding hunting swamp land. I have not found how to tell if the swamp is 10 foot deep or 2 foot deep. I know getting boots on the ground would tell me these things but is there certain plants you looks for? Certain places to step to keep yourself out of neck deep water? I have found several swamp islands that I want to scout in the next few days with what looks like heavily used deer trails from google earth aerials. Trails look to be coming off timberland ridges going through cattails then to swamp islands. Is deer trails another indicator of knee deep or less water? Not scared to take a swim or fill my boots full of water/mud but wouldn’t mind some advice on what to look for either.

Not to be confusing but it sounds like your hunting marsh more than swamp, most swamps are all woods with water breaking the transition lines, In my opinion. Marsh are alot easier to figure out than swamps, the transitions stick out alot easier by map. You can see a-lot of stuff by map on swamps but you dont see it all untill your out scouting cause alot of thing just dont stick out cause its all trees

Now if you see solid water around those island your talking about its more than like deep for sure. If it has catails all the way up to it, ya you can have deep spots, but its likely accessible. Dan has a method he calls “ duck walking” walking the deer trail in step to the sides of the trails where the deer dont walk this helps keep from punching though where the deer have walked for years and the waters deep.

There are some threads on here to search for that go into some details about things like this! Goodluck on your scouting and try to stay dry! :lol:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:58 pm

You can learn alot on the forum and from YouTube. But it's all laid out and organized better on Dan's DVD's. Buying and watching chapter 3, "Marsh Bedding" will give you a great start at learning all of this. I'm not paid to hype these, nor does Dan insist you buy them. But most agree they're well worth the money spent. For all of the knowledge gained from them!!

Click on the link for the store!

Good luck!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:57 am

There's no 2 swamps,marshes the same.You will get wet,no matter how long u been going it.I have a spot that's always wet, I wear hip boots and doing ok then my next step I go right 2 my crotch.Going down deer trails in the cattails I have good luck walking on the outter edge of trail.I step on the catails 2 kind of hold my foot from sinking thru and I go fast as I can because there only going to hold u up 4 a bit.Hope this helps some.Ralph
Huntseverything22

Unread postby Huntseverything22 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Thank you all for the information and reply’s. Never being around marsh or swamp land didn’t really know the difference so I’ve learned something new. Area I am looking at is definitely marsh. I have attached photos of the area I am going to check out. Hard woods leading to cattails/marsh growth to timber islands. Backing up to a couple lakes. Hoping those are deer trails and not other hunters!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:17 am

When you fall through just don’t put your arms above your head. Expect to get wet muddy and smell when you’re done. If it was easy everyone would do it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”