Rut bed?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Bonehead

Rut bed?

Unread postby Bonehead » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:30 am

I apologize for not having pics of this area, my phone died battery had already died by the time I came across this bed.
This has been driving me crazy for several reasons. This 60x40yd thicket is tore up with 30-40 tall rubs. A circular bed appears at the north end of thicket. The buck can see west toward the open area from his bed. This is all located at the top of the ridge, not in the upper 1/3rd.
I was listening to Dans WKP podcast yesterday and he mentioned rut beds have lots of rubs. Since it was in a weird location, and had so many rubs, I thought it might be a rut bed.
Should I go back and see if any doe bedding is located west of the buck bed? Perhaps he’s just watching deer as they move north and south up and the point just west of him?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Rut bed?

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:06 am

certainly could be rut bedding... But without having all the details its hard to say.

I remember scouting a property for a guy back in January and finding a bed you could hardly see with rubs all around it and a rubline going one direction. The fella said he was disipointed cause when he 1st saw the bed it was used well... I said it looks like a rut bed but that would mean there should be doe bedding at the other end of the rubline.. The guy perked up and said the best doe bedding on the property is 40 yards 5that way, and pointed down the rubline.
Bonehead

Re: Rut bed?

Unread postby Bonehead » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:11 am

dan wrote:certainly could be rut bedding... But without having all the details its hard to say.

I remember scouting a property for a guy back in January and finding a bed you could hardly see with rubs all around it and a rubline going one direction. The fella said he was disipointed cause when he 1st saw the bed it was used well... I said it looks like a rut bed but that would mean there should be doe bedding at the other end of the rubline.. The guy perked up and said the best doe bedding on the property is 40 yards 5that way, and pointed down the rubline.

Thanks Dan, I will go check it again, now that I know more of what to look for.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”