Scouting for beds in cut Timber property

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
TNReed
Facebook: No clue

Scouting for beds in cut Timber property

Unread postby TNReed » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:06 am

Hey folks...first topic post here so go easy.

My lease is about 2200 acres of timber property that has been cut and I would classify the terrain as Hill Country. As usual the tops were cut and bottoms are untouched hardwoods. Some of the tops were replanted and some were not. The parts that were replanted are 15-18 year old pine now with little to no vegetation on the ground while the rest of the tops are grown up broom grass with a random tree here or there. Ive ordered the hill country scouting dvds and was wondering what kind of impact the planted and uplanted tops would have on using these tactics for scouting for beds, travel corridors etc.

Thanks and I look forward to being part of the group.

Reed
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I swear I wont buy anymore archery equipment.... :liar:
Bud TN

Re: Scouting for beds in cut Timber property

Unread postby Bud TN » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Hello tn Reed!

I'm sure you will get lots of feed back from much more knowledgeable folk than me, but here are my thoughts. I suspect the hillside between the top and bottoms are littered with deer trails as that would be there source of mast in the fall. Bucks will travel the transition line perpendicular to doe travel.

Thinking about the fact that deer are edge creatures, I wold start with some cyber scouting looking for points at the edge of those hollers that were not cut. In the fall the Bucks will bed on the upper side of those draws catching the thermals. My guess is that the does are bedding in those grass fields and transition down to the hardwoods to feed (they will also feed in those fields too). The Bucks will bed away from the does in less thick areas until they go "hard antler" around September. So they could be in those grassy spots early on. But I suspect they are deep back in some more open woods till fall. I would focus scouting on those piney edges near the hardwoods for bedding. I would walk every point you locate and any ridge tops around the edge of those uncut draws/hollers. It is true to walk The 1/3rd elevation from the top. You can take Dan's view on this as gospel! Almost all beds I find are at that elevation. I hunt the mountains of east TN. I would focus on all those transition areas. Find the heavy doe trails then try to find the perpendicular buck trails then follow them back as much as you can. Look for primary scrapes.. Those are usually near a buck bedding area. When you see a primary verses secondary scrape you will know the difference. Primary's are huge! It's not much, but it's how I'd go about it. Good luck and happy scouting!
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Down wind points of the cuts look for where the transition line gets closer to the point on the ridge the higher the point and closer the trans line the better it is.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Tnstalker made some excelent points, the only thing i would add is i would stick with the thicker areas that where the bucks would be, Plus theres plenty of browse there! You will have some problems with thermals, all the acrons being on the bottom, bucks will be wanting to drop down when the thermal switch changes. It will be tuff to set up before hand! Now later in season and rut will be a diffrent story. Dans hill dvds will be sweet for you to gain some knowledge for that type of terrian!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
TNReed
Facebook: No clue

Unread postby TNReed » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:42 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:Tnstalker made some excelent points, the only thing i would add is i would stick with the thicker areas that where the bucks would be, Plus theres plenty of browse there! You will have some problems with thermals, all the acrons being on the bottom, bucks will be wanting to drop down when the thermal switch changes. It will be tuff to set up before hand! Now later in season and rut will be a diffrent story. Dans hill dvds will be sweet for you to gain some knowledge for that type of terrian!

Im really looking forward to the DVD's. I have hunted this piece for a couple years and taken some good bucks but mostly due to luck and the rut. Im wanting to figure out those ghost we only see on a camera or find the shed of after the fact.
Reed
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I swear I wont buy anymore archery equipment.... :liar:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:43 am

The deer will still use their established travel routes - they travel those trails and utilize the thermals - buddy had a good stand with lots of buck sightings on a private property. Place got logged and here come the bucks, walking along the same trails thru the clear cut...
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Thick up high, open oak bluffs or creek bottoms below make for some great bedding. Seek out the tall native grasses, briar patches and privet hedges.

Walk the edges, follow the sign.
Trust the Process

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”