How late is too late?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: How late is too late?

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon May 28, 2018 12:09 pm

Yea the only time you will be too late to scout is if you never do it. Its harder after green up but you still learn stuff. Some bedding is used year round some is not. Rubs and stuff are still there if you look close too. The Hunting Public guys have done quite a bit of scouting in the summer if you want to look at some videos of how its done. Good luck!

Nelson87
500 Club

Re: How late is too late?

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:05 pm

JoeRE wrote:Yea the only time you will be too late to scout is if you never do it. Its harder after green up but you still learn stuff. Some bedding is used year round some is not. Rubs and stuff are still there if you look close too. The Hunting Public guys have done quite a bit of scouting in the summer if you want to look at some videos of how its done. Good luck!

As I was reading the question and the replies, the first thing that I thought of was the summer scouting that hunting public guys have done.

Earlier the better though, if possible. For example, on the last day of our bow season (early Jan.) I found some buck bedding along a brushy ditch that juts into an ag field. The first thing to catch my eye were several rubs, and further investigation revealed what appeared to be a main bed with several more close by. The bed was hard to see because it was full of sycamore leaves, but under the leaves I found a bunch of old droppings, which told me it's an early season location.
I think it was sometime in March or early April when I went back for another look, and by then if I hadn't known where the bed was I couldn't have found it. BUT, the rubs were still there of course, and maybe someone more experienced than me would have figured out what was going on there without a visible bed. By then I was likely looking at 6 month old sign.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”