Setting up in water

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kdawg_901

Setting up in water

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:08 am

Had a neat scouting trip into the marsh this weekend. I ended up being a little slower than I thought I would be and defiantly did not get to primary locations yet. That said I marked quite a few beds and kicked a deer out of the bed pictured, which was super cool.

Currently the water Im going through is about thigh deep. Trees that Ive found that I may set up in are completely surrounded by water. Can I expect it to dry out to a point where their may be some dry land around these trees? Also does anyone have experience setting up in a tree like this? how would you handle hauling your bow up? Do you just let it get wet? Seems like that might not be the best idea.

Last edited by kdawg_901 on Wed May 02, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Setting up in water

Unread postby Rich M » Wed May 02, 2018 2:23 am

Can't see your pictures - a lot of guys hunt in water down here in FL. Probably a good spot to hunt multiple times as there is no ground scent.

You need to figure out how to keep your bow/gun dry (hang it on something?) as you climb/set up.
kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:42 am

Boy I suck at images on this forum. I just updated the links hopefully those should work.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:01 am

I'm guessing it will dry out unless you get a ton of rain before season
Dave.Bechtel

Unread postby Dave.Bechtel » Wed May 02, 2018 3:56 am

I have hunted one marsh very similar to your pictures. It seems like your setting up in the middle of a lake but I've had good success. Depending on the amount of rain, it might dry up a bit. The location that I hunted was a low land drainage that would have almost NO water one day and then after a couple of rain storms, it is a lake.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 02, 2018 4:08 am

I like it when guys have there state under there name when they set up, its easier to answer a lot of questions... In the north you don't find many trees completely surrounded by water, but in the south you do... From your pic, im guessing your north and that water will dry up.
kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:21 am

Ill make sure I update that when I get a chance. I'm actually in the southeast between Milwaukee and Find du lac.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 02, 2018 5:30 am

I hunt in flooded timber like that all the time. Being spring the water may drop a little by September but chances are it will still be plenty wet. Usually I can find a tree with enough of a hump around it that I can get set up easier otherwise before climbing I just hang my bow on a branch at ground level so it stays dry then pull it up. I see big bucks moving thru that stuff often. Good way to get rid of other hunters too. That’s why the bucks are there.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed May 02, 2018 9:31 am

I have an idea of where those picture are from. And I was out the recently and the water was extremely high for that area. I've been hunting there for the last couple of years.

If it is where I think it is, the water will go down quite a bit. I think the high rivers just north of you are causing the high water now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:39 am

Thanks fellas, great info. Im guessing its gotta go down. Does anyone have a good idea of a summer timeframe a person could go out and see how far it drops? I think Id like to avoid over scouting it, but Id take a trip right up to the edge of where Im entering to see if I need to push further in case of other hunters. This place seems like it will see quite a bit of pressure on the dry parts for sure.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:44 am

kdawg_901 wrote:Thanks fellas, great info. Im guessing its gotta go down. Does anyone have a good idea of a summer timeframe a person could go out and see how far it drops? I think Id like to avoid over scouting it, but Id take a trip right up to the edge of where Im entering to see if I need to push further in case of other hunters. This place seems like it will see quite a bit of pressure on the dry parts for sure.

July
kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:36 am

john1984 wrote:
kdawg_901 wrote:Thanks fellas, great info. Im guessing its gotta go down. Does anyone have a good idea of a summer timeframe a person could go out and see how far it drops? I think Id like to avoid over scouting it, but Id take a trip right up to the edge of where Im entering to see if I need to push further in case of other hunters. This place seems like it will see quite a bit of pressure on the dry parts for sure.

July

Thanks
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed May 02, 2018 12:02 pm

Use one of those accessory hook straps to hang your gear while you put the stand/sticks up. Use a bow sling instead of a pull rope or tie the pull rope off high enough to keep the bow hanging safely above water.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:01 am

Thats a good call, I could fit one of those in a pocket pretty easily.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu May 03, 2018 2:56 pm

A screw in step or screw in bow holder. I just screw them in around chest height and hang them on there while climbing then pull the gun or bow up after
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”