Is one big fresh buck track enough?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Is one big fresh buck track enough?

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:40 am

lots of good info on this one if I find a giant buck track I will haunt that bucks track every year and throw sits for him till I think I got him figured out then put in the real time if I really want him. and if anything I just got a collage degree on that area for future use. I love tracking bucks year round they show you everything my goal is to map out there travel. then I will a better idea of bedding for ambush season.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Good job :clap: a big track is just part of the puzzle but sounds like your headed in the right direction, hopefully this leads to a kill thread.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:42 pm

I use to walk fresh cutovers looking for big tracks. Sure makes a person light up when he runs across one good track. I look both directions where he was going amd where he come from. I think it is a good place to start.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:01 am

Good job Bonecrusher, great woodsmanship staying on his track all the way to bedding! That is pretty rare though, usually conditions allow only for single track or short segments of tracks. My "go to" method of finding the bedding of a newly discovered big track, is to mark location and direction each time I encounter the big track. Then, look at your maps and search both directions along the "line of travel" for each track discovery you make. Accumulation of multiple track lines from various locations on the property will triangulate the specific area you should search for his beds.This works equally well in the farm country near my home and in the big woods up in north Wisconsin where I also hunt.

Those older bucks seem to be "straight line walkers" as they move around their areas, so this tendency really helps the accuracy of this method.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”