Found a great spot today.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Found a great spot today.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:22 am

Today while scouting I stumbled into a water hole along a stream that is right on the edge of a several year old pine clearcut had buck rubs all over it so I followed the trail in reverse.

Passed several rubs and 2 scrapes.

Led me to bedding by a clear cut. The bucks are bedding in a tiny oak Peninsula surrounded by clearcut on 3 sides with about a 30 yard wide pine ridge leading into it. Im sure that i would've never found it if I hadn't followed the buck trail in reverse.

Three huge rubs were bigger then my leg next to the beds. The water hole is about 160 yards from bedding.

Spent about 3 hours walking the area over and over every little trail and picked several good trees.

Looks like a solid spot good cover, water, food and mature buck sign in a small area.

Been scouting a lot lately but haven't found any good spots until today. The more I beast hunt it seems good spots are coming harder and harder to find the right setup.

I walk right by spots I would've sat my first year beast hunting.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Babshaft
500 Club

Re: Found a great spot today.

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Awesome man. That gives me a lot of hope. I spent 4 hours today scouting in waist deep snow and couldn’t find any promising sign. Lots of old rubs but no new ones. I was in what I thought were good spots based on the aerials, but I’ll have to comeback in the spring to see if there’s any bedding at all. I guess the good spots will come in time.

Sounds like you’re on to a dynamite spot. Hopefully you pull a big guy out of there this fall!
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Awesome man. That gives me a lot of hope. I spent 4 hours today scouting in waist deep snow and couldn’t find any promising sign. Lots of old rubs but no new ones. I was in what I thought were good spots based on the aerials, but I’ll have to comeback in the spring to see if there’s any bedding at all. I guess the good spots will come in time.

Sounds like you’re on to a dynamite spot. Hopefully you pull a big guy out of there this fall!
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Nice work tennhunter! Paying attention to big tracks is one of the most important tools in the tool box.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”