Help w some Aerial Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Help w some Aerial Scouting

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:47 am

Sequoia wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:
Most of the big bucks are gonna be bedded in that low marshy area to the right is that accessible? If so scout the transitions of that. Those pines look pretty thick so probably not much under growth or thick for deer to hide in but. Walk all those lines find those beds

100% Agree. For some reason I wasn't looking beyond the borders of the property I have permission on and conjecturing about where they could be when not on the property. While I currently do not have permission on the marshy area I'm fairly confident I can get permission.

Here's a juicy indicator that the mature bucks are definitely bedding in that swampy stuff

If you notice, his legs are muddy and black. The ONLY close by area that has standing water and marshy conditions is that area on the map in Yellow. I didn't draw that conclusion till looking at some of my trail cam pics and and thinking about what you said. Cool! Progress!! Thanks. That's solid detective work.

As soon as i seen pic and seen that mud. Thats a tell tale sign of swammpy marshy area bedding. He aint going out there for anything else. Go scout it bro and keep us updated good luck

brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:25 am

Sequoia wrote:
brancher147 wrote:I am used to hill country, big woods, and mountains, but do hunt some flattish farm country also. A few spots jumped out at me just based on terrain and multiple cover types coming together and may be good travel areas. I would also assume mature bucks to be bedding to the east is swampy swale that you don't have permission for. That upper NE corner above pines and overgrown field may be a bit of an overlooked area and may be a good place to catch a buck traveling from marsh bedding to doe bedding in the pines.

Other than that I agree with what has been said and locate doe bedding. Then plan from there. If you can backtrack buck sign from doe bedding and find buck bedding then you are good to go. Although will be hard to do without having scouting time this winter. Good luck

I keyed in on those same spots. That Northwest red circle you have is actually one of my hunting spots I have prepped for my saddle. I call it "tri-corner" because of the convergence of the three different foliage - pines, mixed pines, and the hardwoods. I killed a doe there in Mid October.

The other spots you've noticed I will have to dig into. Before i scout i usually create a "concept of operations" if you will. I highlight all areas that look interesting to me and then use them to section up the property. That way I can divide up my efforts into categorical zone searches. In Zone A I found this... In Zone B i found this...

This is what I have planned for the first day of Scouting.

1 = potential travel routes
2 = potential rubs/scrapes
3 = potential bedding

What do you guys think?

I didn't realize you had said you can gain permission for that marshy area... I would be all over those areas you have labeled B and C. Especially that finger of timber you have labeled bedding in the marsh that juts out to the north just west of the power line.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Sequoia

Unread postby Sequoia » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:44 pm

brancher147 wrote: I would be all over those areas you have labeled B and C. Especially that finger of timber you have labeled bedding in the marsh that juts out to the north just west of the power line.

My thoughts exactly my man. That low-lying swale point looks like an awesome terrain feature.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRiLH ... cRsR3Xgj4w

"Powder Dry. Morale High. "

- Col Ripley

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”