Saftey in cattails or swamps with cattails

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Saftey in cattails or swamps with cattails

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:53 pm

My brother i had an awful occurrence today out in the marsh
I was scouting off a field on an islan that leads to another islad. Found a great doe bedding area for the rut next year. And on the outer island. I found two great buck beds on the northern side in a real high grassy area with trees
Well on the way out of there back to the field i was going to scout another island on the other side of property in cattails. I turned my head and wham broken off cattail went perfectly in my eye well hile enduring the the extreme pain and trying to gather myself i managed with one eye to find my way back to truck about a mile walk through cattails and small island then crp fields
I do not know how i drove home but i did
The pain even typing this with one eye is like torture
I just wanted to really recommend a pair of some sort of eye protection while scouting sunglasses reg glasses or even saftey glasses. I will for all my scouting trips mow.
Dr said i have two tears in my cornia. So itl be a few days to be able to open both eyes. I hope i can still watch the eagles game lol
Please guys be safe and wear somthing a deer isnt worth anyones sight

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Saftey in cattails or swamps with cattails

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:08 pm

I always try to wear sunglasses when doing deer drives in the cats. I’ve seen them in eyes and up noses. ER visits for both guys.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:11 pm

I always try to wear sunglasses when doing deer drives in the cats. I’ve seen them in eyes and up noses. ER visits for both guys.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Wow hope ya get healed up pretty fast man.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:24 pm

I agree with matt, wear sunglasses or clear safety glasses. I've had a minor poke in the eye from cattails....not fun.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:34 pm

Wow. I have been busting thru cattails since I was a little kid and never had that happen. Guess I’m just lucky. Branches in the woods are a different story. About poked out my eyes a few times. Not a bad idea to wear some type of eye protection especially in the dark when you can’t see poke hazzards.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:36 pm

Dewey wrote:Wow. I have been busting thru cattails since I was a little kid and never had that happen. Guess I’m just lucky. Branches in the woods are a different story. About poked out my eyes a few times. Not a bad idea to wear some type of eye protection especially in the dark when you can’t see poke hazzards.

Me too, never thought about it... but got me thinking!!
Make It Happen
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:41 pm

Swampbuck wrote:
Dewey wrote:Wow. I have been busting thru cattails since I was a little kid and never had that happen. Guess I’m just lucky. Branches in the woods are a different story. About poked out my eyes a few times. Not a bad idea to wear some type of eye protection especially in the dark when you can’t see poke hazzards.

I agree, branches in the woods always get me! The branches always seem to slap my face, especially cold out, and leaves a nasty sting on my face. Hate that! I always wear sunglasses scouting, but it’s mostly because I’m sensitive to light.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:48 pm

Net Guy wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:

I agree, branches in the woods always get me! The branches always seem to slap my face, especially cold out, and leaves a nasty sting on my face. Hate that! I always wear sunglasses scouting, but it’s mostly because I’m sensitive to light.

One time a branch caught my glasses and flung them off my face. Spent 20 minutes in the dark on my hands and knees trying to find them in the thick brush. I was gonna give up and find my way home with messed up vision when I looked up and my glasses were hanging above me on the same branch that knocked them off. LOL
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Sorry you had to go through that lope. Happened to my wife last weekend at a lesser degree she was lucky enough to get her eyes closed in time.

(Scouting) When I'm in cat tails, golden rod, or swamp brush I'm paying more attention to the movement of my arms spreading a path than trying to move forward. Hope that's helpful.

Walks out after dark though... Think I'll be carrying a pair of safety glasses this year. Definitely worth it.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:

One time a branch caught my glasses and flung them off my face. Spent 20 minutes in the dark on my hands and knees trying to find them in the thick brush. I was gonna give up and find my way home with messed up vision when I looked up and my glasses were hanging above me on the same branch that knocked them off. LOL

Ouch! Bet that stung. Every once in a while I’ll be following someone in the woods and while I’m not paying attention a branch flings back and catches me in the chops. That always feels great. :doh:
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Take care of yourself!
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:47 am

You are spot on with this tip. I went out yesterday and turned my head in time for a reed to go right in my mouth and cut my gums between my upper teeth and lip! :doh: Have nearly been poked in eyes too, so now I use my hands as a wedge in front of me as I walk through. Of course while scouting I'm kind of like a bull in a china shop...sometimes I just make my own path, other times I make their paths wider! :D
Praying for your quick healing.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:30 am

Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:

Ouch! Bet that stung. Every once in a while I’ll be following someone in the woods and while I’m not paying attention a branch flings back and catches me in the chops. That always feels great. :doh:

Funny you mention that i always tell my kids when i have them out scouting or even just out in the woods. I tell them always stay a little ways behind whoever is in front of you. You will get a face full if you dont. I gave my boy a facefull one time i felt so bad i know that it hurt like . And he said wow dad your right gotta stay back a little bit when following you in woods
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:16 am

Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:

Haha, that's awesome!! I do get slapped on.the face alot with brush.
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”