Average Distance Covered Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Miles Walked Per Scout

1-2 Miles
15%
2-4 Miles
68%
5+ Miles
18%

Total votes: 62
Twenty Up
500 Club

Average Distance Covered Scouting

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:49 pm

Be cool to see how far guys walk on average per scouting trip. My 'quick' refresher trips for 2 hours get me around 3 miles. All day trips are much more but the average is about 4 miles when I average them all out.

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
JAK
500 Club

Re: Average Distance Covered Scouting

Unread postby JAK » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:53 pm

I'd say my shorter trips are 3 miles but I'm pretty sure I've done 8 plus lastyear. Would be interesting to know exact distance.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 pm

I voted the 2-4 because that's probably what my average was last season, but there were a couple trips that were around 6 miles and others around 1 mile.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:01 pm

I will do up to 5-6 miles if I'm power scouting on a weekend. I will be checking multiple areas and covering lots of ground. These trips can last 4- 5 hours.

If I'm speed scouting after work I get into the area I want to check quick and get out quick. I'm in and out in less than an hour. I usually cover less than a mile.

So I guess I avg about 2 miles per trip if I had to take a guess....
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:07 pm

A lot of the places I go I have to travel over 2 miles to get to. It’s common for me to go 6 miles or more scouting in a day.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:12 pm

I track everything on my GPS and Fitbit. 1/2 day of scouting I average 5-6 miles. Last year scouting the hills of Iowa I did 10-12 miles on all day trips covering as much ground as I could. Walking doesn’t bother me and have exceeded 30 miles on a 3 day weekend with no issues and I’m an old man. :lol:

I think it’s important to slow way down and really pay attention to the details instead of just covering the miles. There is a time and place for speed scouting but for the most part many guys walk way too fast and miss everything. My miles are more from hopping from one area to another but when I get there I really break things down and move very slow.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:32 pm

how about miles per year I'm well over 100 in that case
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Dewey wrote:I track everything on my GPS and Fitbit. 1/2 day of scouting I average 5-6 miles. Last year scouting the hills of Iowa I did 10-12 miles on all day trips covering as much ground as I could. Walking doesn’t bother me and have exceeded 30 miles on a 3 day weekend with no issues and I’m an old man. :lol:

I think it’s important to slow way down and really pay attention to the details instead of just covering the miles. There is a time and place for speed scouting but for the most part many guys walk way too fast and miss everything. My miles are more from hopping from one area to another but when I get there I really break things down and move very slow.

Good point. I’m guilty of that, especially when I see good sign. I like scouting with the wife or a buddy because every time I turn around to speak with them I see the other sign I just walked right past.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:09 pm

Dewey wrote:I track everything on my GPS and Fitbit. 1/2 day of scouting I average 5-6 miles. Last year scouting the hills of Iowa I did 10-12 miles on all day trips covering as much ground as I could. Walking doesn’t bother me and have exceeded 30 miles on a 3 day weekend with no issues and I’m an old man. :lol:

I like when you reply Dewey because there's always something to learn off of your posts.

I calculate the overall miles but I'd bet maybe 1/5 of my actual miles logged is in buck bedding areas. Like you mentioned the rest is going to/from bedding areas. It's funny I track my scouts as well using GPS and I can visually see where I found a bed because ill slow down are start really zig zagging around more so than crushing through the military crest
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:15 pm

5-6 roundtrip is probably solid for me. Starting early morning and out just before dark 8 would be realistic. Eating breakfast and stopping for a good lunch can be important for not losing energy. Staying hydrated too.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:15 pm

The walk out is always the worst! My lord, someone call John E and pick me up...
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:54 pm

2-4 is very average for me. When I’m pressed for time and want to check a very specific area I can keep it 1-2 with an overlooked spot. When I devote half a day or more I can knock out over 5 easy. I hooked it yesterday evening to gather a trail cam and speed scout to/from. When I got back to the truck I covered about 5 1/2 in 3.5 hours.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:37 pm

I chose 2-4 but would have picked 4+ if that was an option. I have plenty of 2 and 3 mile days but I also have quite a few in the 6-8 range. I had Friday off work and walked over 9. Would have kept going if it weren't for daycare closing at 5:00 ;)
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:The walk out is always the worst! My lord, someone call John E and pick me up...

Just try to keep your ground disturbance to a minimum DK!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:58 pm

I voted 2-4 miles. I feel I'm more productive doing multiple shorter trips. When conditions are ideal, I may get out 2-3 days a week.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”