How to organize all this data?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Jonny
500 Club

Re: How to organize all this data?

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:43 am

Excel and a journal for notes and data. My gps has all my tracks and waypoints. Still trying to figure out how I want to get google earth involved. Tinkering with that this week. Bit of a learning curve to it

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Strenke629

Unread postby Strenke629 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:21 am

I use google earth linked with my garmin 64 gps which works amazing. I go out scouting with my gps and come back with tons of waypoints. I can then automatically transfer those waypoints onto google earth very easily. I have all my beds, tree stand locations, and other points on google earth so I can look at it with satellite images and topo maps to give me a good "big picture" view. I can even transfer points made on google earth onto my gps as well in case I find a spot during cyber scouting that I want to make sure I check out when I get out in the woods.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:46 am

reach out to JoeRE
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:03 pm

Gps, my phone with onxmaps, cal topo, excel, and my noggin. It's a bit of a symphony :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-typing:
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:15 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:Google Maps. You can drop points and it records to my gmail account. So when I use my phone, it also shows on my computer. Google earth I cannot mark up on my phone. (unless that has changed)

No it hasnt changed but i hope it does lol soon
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Strenke629 wrote:I use google earth linked with my garmin 64 gps which works amazing. I go out scouting with my gps and come back with tons of waypoints. I can then automatically transfer those waypoints onto google earth very easily. I have all my beds, tree stand locations, and other points on google earth so I can look at it with satellite images and topo maps to give me a good "big picture" view. I can even transfer points made on google earth onto my gps as well in case I find a spot during cyber scouting that I want to make sure I check out when I get out in the woods.

Hey do you like the 64? Is it easy to use ? I know its pricey but i heard its sweet. Im looking into a gps
bass28

Unread postby bass28 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:34 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:
Strenke629 wrote:I use google earth linked with my garmin 64 gps which works amazing. I go out scouting with my gps and come back with tons of waypoints. I can then automatically transfer those waypoints onto google earth very easily. I have all my beds, tree stand locations, and other points on google earth so I can look at it with satellite images and topo maps to give me a good "big picture" view. I can even transfer points made on google earth onto my gps as well in case I find a spot during cyber scouting that I want to make sure I check out when I get out in the woods.

Hey do you like the 64? Is it easy to use ? I know its pricey but i heard its sweet. Im looking into a gps

I have a Garmin 64S and love it! I find it easy to use...it still has the buttons and is not touch screen. That seems to work better for me when wearing light gloves during archery season. It seems to pick up satellites quickly also. The only downside I saw was the track will 'float' a little when standing still. I emailed Garmin about it and they indicated this happens with all newer GPS units because they are always updating your position for accuracy. After I got used to that is has been great.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:50 pm

bass28 wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

I have a Garmin 64S and love it! I find it easy to use...it still has the buttons and is not touch screen. That seems to work better for me when wearing light gloves during archery season. It seems to pick up satellites quickly also. The only downside I saw was the track will 'float' a little when standing still. I emailed Garmin about it and they indicated this happens with all newer GPS units because they are always updating your position for accuracy. After I got used to that is has been great.

Same here. If you can find a deal on one, don’t know how you beat it. I can get as close as I need to in the woods or the water. Can find day old holes on the biggest lakes in Wisconsin with ease.

Honestly I’m looking for another to use strictly for fishing. They work perfectly for what I do. 64s to be exact. Wouldn’t get the 64st though
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
riverrat bbq

Unread postby riverrat bbq » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:31 pm

So if you save all you info on google maps is that saved to your computer or is it connected to your google account. I would hate to loose it all if the computer crashed.
thanks chris
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Keeping good records really helps... 1st you take notes when you scout. What wind do you think he beds in this area? what wind can you hunt there, map out an access. What stand, and how many sticks do you need? Why and when do you think he beds there? Are there alternate trees for alternate winds?
Then keeping good journal notes about when you see deer there, the sign you saw, the weather/wind etc.

I used to keep good notes like this, and also where I saw, or got pic's of certain target bucks. It helped a lot. Now I keep it all in my head, which is not as accurate.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:45 am

A notebook on each stand is a great idea dan im gonna do this
It can also tell ( which im sure you already know this) the compiled data can probably tell you please correct me if im wrong) what time of the year that spot will get hot since deer are so habitual and i guess the word would be ancestral?. Meaning different bucks over the years will use the same ares or beds rubs scrape etc
At least thats what i get from stuff ive read and learned over past month or so. Make sense?
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:14 am

riverrat bbq wrote:So if you save all you info on google maps is that saved to your computer or is it connected to your google account. I would hate to loose it all if the computer crashed.
thanks chris

Google maps is saved. Google earth is not. I can mark short notes in the description. I would say, this is my most valuable scouting tool outside my trailcams. It really allows me to mark items quickly, keep scouting and then work on connecting the dots at another time.

I have tried taking notes over the past 15yrs. Your either a detail oriented person with notetaking or not. My brain works differently I guess. I have trouble remembering peoples names...but never lose trail cams. Do not forget where I put them. I can still tell you details in my head about what happened on what days on hunts that happened 10yrs ago. I am sure there are things I miss but its what works for me.

Some of you other guys, your brains might be geared that way. Mine is not for sure. I always have the best intentions but reality is another beast.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:41 am

I use google earth and have been since hearing about it from dans videos and podcasts
I can save everything on google earth
Wayvpoints setups beds rubs scrapes
Anything. Its a great tool. I can actually see deer trails in swamps and meadows.
Its hard to really use for farms and bigwoods cause i just dont know what to look for in these areas. My area is so flat not much topography use here
But you can save everything and the actual picture of what you look at on there too
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 pm

I don't know if you are aware of this feature in Google Earth

go to tools
options
terrain
change the 1 to a 3

this will exaggerate the terrain features

make sure you have terrain check off on your Google page the column next to the map at the bottom for layers

I use this all the time to see terrain features on flat land that you normally have a hard time to see

I found two very shallow draws on a property I hunt the deer follow I was not aware of because the land is flat

try that and see if it helps you with how the land is contoured on flat land
also it helps looking for high spots in marshes that look flat otherwise
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:21 am

EdC wrote:I don't know if you are aware of this feature in Google Earth

go to tools
options
terrain
change the 1 to a 3

this will exaggerate the terrain features

make sure you have terrain check off on your Google page the column next to the map at the bottom for layers

I use this all the time to see terrain features on flat land that you normally have a hard time to see

I found two very shallow draws on a property I hunt the deer follow I was not aware of because the land is flat

try that and see if it helps you with how the land is contoured on flat land
also it helps looking for high spots in marshes that look flat otherwise

I actually diddnt know this
Thnks lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”