Ol' Ben's First Buck Bed?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ol_ben

Ol' Ben's First Buck Bed?

Unread postby ol_ben » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:08 am

I went out last weekend on my second scouting trip to the 2000+ acre public piece I'll be hunting this year. You'll notice from the picture of the entire thing that I have barely scratched the surface. You'll also see that I haven't yet made it far from a parking lot, primarily because I have not had a large amount of time to scout, and secondarily because there was recently flooding that made its way into a lot of the river bottom area of the property that are normally dry. Anyway, here's the whole thing, followed by a zoomed in view of the cattail marsh where I think I found a decent buck bed.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Ol' Ben's First Buck Bed?

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:16 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ol_ben

Unread postby ol_ben » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:17 am

ol_ben wrote:I went out last weekend on my second scouting trip to the 2000+ acre public piece I'll be hunting this year. You'll notice from the picture of the entire thing that I have barely scratched the surface. You'll also see that I haven't yet made it far from a parking lot, primarily because I have not had a large amount of time to scout, and secondarily because there was recently flooding that made its way into a lot of the river bottom area of the property that are normally dry. Anyway, here's the whole thing, followed by a zoomed in view of the cattail marsh where I think I found a decent buck bed.

Whole Property

Zoomed in view of the marsh

On the north end I found the first sign of what looks like a decent buck bed. See the following pictures:

Bed (trees are directly south of the bed, I'm standing just W of the bed)

View from bed: North

View from bed: South

View from bed: East

View from bed: West

First, does this look like a bed worth hunting?

Second, what wind would a buck use this bed on?
ol_ben

Unread postby ol_ben » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 am

Stanley wrote::clap: :clap: :clap:

Ha, you beat me here before I got everything into my post :) I hit submit before posting pictures of the bed and views from the bed. Anyway, take another look now that I've got pictures up and let me know if I'm dealing with something real or a bunch of garbage!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:37 am

If the beds are wind based (which not all marsh beds are) then he would bed in the north bed on a northerly wind. And the south bed on a southerly wind. Based on your 2 red dots.

You observation stands should work if they're no too close. Sit and see what happens. Then move in for the kill!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:31 am

Just curious... what did you find for buck sign In and around the bed(ding area)?
ol_ben

Unread postby ol_ben » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:50 am

Lockdown wrote:Just curious... what did you find for buck sign In and around the bed(ding area)?

Only large tracks. On the path into the thick stuff on the edge of the woods. No scrapes, rubs, or scat/hair in or near the bed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”